Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 cheap AND good bullets? >

cheap AND good bullets?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

cheap AND good bullets?

Old 09-07-2006, 07:35 AM

Default cheap AND good bullets?

Hello-
I'm new to muzzleloading. I'm not new to rifles. Before I go out looking for venison on the hoof, I plan to put at least a hundred rounds through my Huntsman (which should arrive tomorrow, I hope!).

One other important factoid about me is that I'm cheap so I cringe at the thought of paying a buck a bang. I look through http://cabelas.com/and while I can appreciate the potential of the powerbelts and such, I'm not sure how much is gimmick and how much is actual advantage.
[align=left]What is a good, accurate, cheap bullet solution for .50 muzzleloader?[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]Thank you.[/align]
Old 09-07-2006, 08:42 AM

Default RE: cheap AND good bullets?

well right now I am liking and shooting good with the Hornady 240grn xtps for my deer loads I pay up here in Yorkton, Sask Canada $11 for 20 of them they come with the green sabots. Some people say that the bullets are good but you can get better sabots, but I haven't had any problems so I don't see the point to spending extra money for sabots when the bullets come with perfectly good sabots. Also the Hornady 250grn sst/ml's are a nice bullet for 20 of them for $12 they are a ballistic tipped bullet, I had problems with the sabots that came with those bullets they were black(don't know the name) but they were thicker and were near impossible to get down my bullet. Anyways thats cheap bullets up here I don't know about the USA.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: biggerhammer

Hello-
I'm new to muzzleloading. I'm not new to rifles. Before I go out looking for venison on the hoof, I plan to put at least a hundred rounds through my Huntsman (which should arrive tomorrow, I hope!).

[align=left]One other important factoid about me is that I'm cheap so I cringe at the thought of paying a buck a bang. I look through http://cabelas.com/and while I can appreciate the potential of the powerbelts and such, I'm not sure how much is gimmick and how much is actual advantage.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]What is a good, accurate, cheap bullet solution for .50 muzzleloader?[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]Thank you.[/align]
Real difficult to beat this 50-pkXTP bullet & 50-pk Harvester Crush Rib black 45/50 plastic sabot combo.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0000345235

http://www.cabelas.com/products/Cpod0012633.jsp

Works well up to elk-size game.

Want a bigger, badder bullet? Get this 375 Buffalo S.S.B at Cabelas.

$17.99 FOR 36.

Old 09-07-2006, 10:19 AM
Typical Buck

Real difficult to beat this 50-pkXTP bullet & 50-pk Harvester Crush Rib black 45/50 plastic sabot combo.

I can agree with that.

Old 09-07-2006, 10:22 AM

Oh, you do a Scotsman's heart good Thank you, I will be purchasing a few different bullets and both flavours of the sabots so that I can test different combinations.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:35 AM

Where the rounds on the display cards come in handy is when you are trying to find what does or does not shoot well out of your smoke pole. It would suck to buy 50 or 100 of a type bullet that your gun does not like.

Most folks try out what their friends shoot, but if you dont have anyone that will let you shoot a little bit of their favorite bullet/sabot combo you dont have to buy a lot to try them out.

After you know what you want to shoot or what shoots best in your weapon, then buy in bulk.

You can buy most any of the major brands in bulk and save a lot compared to the price that you would pay for small quantities on the display cards.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree the xtp and loose sabots of yourMl's liking is pretty cheap but effective components. I have harvested 11 deer, 1 black bear and bull moose with either 240 or 300 xtp. I have also harvested 4 deer with 250gr SST and supplied sabot, at .60 they arenear double of buying the xtp's/sabots bulk.

Saskbushman, can you not buy xtp's in 100 qty box in your neck of the woods? The green sabots that come with the Hornady pre pack can be bought for $6-7 per 50(also branded Hornady or Barnesbut manufactured by MMP). My cost for 100 xtps/green sabot is .36ea.

The sabot included with SST is MMP HPH12. You can either try the TC Shockwave's which come with a smaller dia. sabot(not sure which one now but use to be the HPH24's)or purchase the HPH24's sabot seperately which are slightly smaller the 12's. MMP's can be purchased through MMP direct or Precision Rifle Bullets. I have only seen the 24's stocked under the Hornadylabel here in Saskatchewan.

Sorry for horning in on your post hammer. Best of luck to you.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:52 AM

If I know more at the end of your post than I did at the beginning- and I do- then you're not 'horning in' so much as you're 'helping out'
Old 09-07-2006, 11:08 AM

I wish skeeter but our local homehardware opened a seperate section for hunting which is actually quite nice they have everything I need and they have very educated employee working there he owned the local hunting shop but homehardware bought him out. Anyways they don't sell any bulk bullets yet. But hopefully soon, I guess I don't want to have to drive 3hrs to Saskatoon or 2hrs to Regina. If it gets to the point where I shoot my muzzleloader that much I will start ordering bulk from wholesale sports or Russell sports, But I still love to hunt with my rifle so I will hunt throughout Oct with the mz but once November 6 hits it rifle for mulies and whitetails.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hammer...LOL

Saskbushman, I see, just thought I'd mention it as I have seen guys here buying the boxed Hornady combo not realizing the loose route is much cheaper. That's too bad but understandable. Always good to support a good local business, if you don't you'll have no choice but drive or mail order. Best of Luck

Quick Reply: cheap AND good bullets?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.