Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Proper Hold

Old 08-14-2006, 10:46 AM

Default Proper Hold

the brass trigger guard on my traditions hawken has a semi circular loop at the rear of the guard. sometimes when i can't get out fer awhile i practice sight aquisition at distant targets with a varified emty gun. i noticed that with my middle finger in said loop that my trigger finger reached the trigger's much better.

is this the proper hold???????????????

i thought that loop was just decoration?????????????

early
Old 08-14-2006, 11:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Proper Hold

dont see why you couldnt put your finger in the hole. i never shot with a finger in the hole myself...when i carry it walking in the woods i put a finger in that hole...dont know if theres a proper way and reason for the hole...just thought it was decrative myself..but i use it when carrying the rifle... i say shoot how your comfortable and shoot best....
Old 08-14-2006, 11:30 AM
Fork Horn

MAUSER 06 and I agree on this one, too. And I have had a Hawken that had a similar "loop" at the back of the trigger guard and I have used it with my long finger in it while shooting. It's easy to carry that way, and then naturally comes up with the trigger finger inside the guard. I suppose it might differ with different size hands, fingers, etc - but "it worked for me".

Old 08-14-2006, 03:38 PM
Dominant Buck

What ever is most comfortable for you.. but be sure and practice that way also. I do not put my finger in that small hole on the trigger guard. In a awkward shooting position, I would be more worried about recoil and the effect it could have on my finger when the gun might kick back. Also if I need to do a shot in the winter, what if my gloved hand does not fit in that hole? I just over grab the trigger guard. Again, this is my personal preference and has no indication on how you hold and shoot.

Everyone has different styles of holding the gun. My style varies from gun to gun actually. So if it feels right to you, then do it and practice that way. When the time comes out in the field to make that final shot, then do what comes natural and make your shot count.
Old 08-14-2006, 05:34 PM

thank's guys

i probly shoulda been more clear. its the hook below the rear of the trigger guard not the small hole at the rear. i'll have ta practice and see what works the best. i was having trouble aligning the sights and reaching the trigger, but putting my middle finger aroung the hook seemed ta help.

early