Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 What Grain Powerbelt >

What Grain Powerbelt

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What Grain Powerbelt

Old 08-14-2006, 03:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What Grain Powerbelt

Pglasgow,I believe that with 130 gr out of my 35.5 inch 54cal barrel that they will out penatrate a 223 PB.I put one through a 680 # bear and a nice big elk. A round ball flattens out does a lot of damage rolls back into a ball and penatrates a littlemore. They leave my hawken at over 2100 of course they do slow down fast,but faster than the light PB's I dought it but I don't really know I never compared them. I do know I trust them more than a PB because you can depend on them to do the same all the time, and since I pour most of my own the price differance is unbelieveable. Lee
Old 08-14-2006, 05:07 PM

That used to be my Traditions Deerhunter load 3-4 years ago. That's a perfect combination for many 1-48" twists
That's right, but I shoot it in a 1-28" barrel. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!
Old 08-14-2006, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

Pglasgow,I believe that with 130 gr out of my 35.5 inch 54cal barrel that they will out penatrate a 223 PB.I put one through a 680 # bear and a nice big elk. A round ball flattens out does a lot of damage rolls back into a ball and penatrates a littlemore. They leave my hawken at over 2100 of course they do slow down fast,but faster than the light PB's I dought it but I don't really know I never compared them. I do know I trust them more than a PB because you can depend on them to do the same all the time, and since I pour most of my own the price differance is unbelieveable. Lee
Lee,

I agree 100%.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

any hollow point bullet that is driven at high speed,will blow up.this is why i like this pb hollow point 295/348 so much in my hawkins .50 cal. i can load DOWN ,around 80 grs.,no kick, less smoke, less noise, less flinch.this makes sproulman better shot on the buck.if you hunt,BROWN ITS DOWN, i would not use the pb hollow point. i would use the maxi-ball 370.i use 87 gr. speer in my savage 250-3000. i load it hot.it blows up in a deer.deer fall in spot.this is load that was used in depression.if you go to 100 gr,deer will run after hit. so, bullets blowing up on deer are GREAT,unless you hunt BROWN ITS DOWN,then dont use them.today if deer runs away you can almost expect to have someone get it before you get there.this is why i only take neck or behind shoulder shot. i lost a few bucks because i did not have clear shot to these areas.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:18 PM

my dad uses the 295 gn powerbelt in his cabelas sporterized hawken and 90gns pyrodex.The first deer he shot with the gun was a big bodied buck and the 295gn powerbelt took out its shoulder and broke its collar bone in 2 places. When we gutted him, the shoulder was crushed badly, the collar bone fell out with a little pressure. We found the bullet and it was split in 2 pieces. I like these bullets. I used the 245 hollow points lastyear in my inline and i got a great double lung shot and the bullet went right through both sides and the deer only ran 5 yards before dropping. I see a lot on here that use only like 80-85 grains of powder and a heavy bullet. Thats fine and all but even for me " a real skinny" guy i like to use above 100 gns powder and a lighter bullet. Its never failed me. The only time i got crappy shots on deer was my first year MLing. .45 with 285 grain maxi ball. 70 gn's pyrodex RS and i got a upper back shot and then a lung shot. Those bullets i was using were not mushroomings. After that year thats when i switched to Powerbelts. Thats all i will use in my inline. Still wanting to try them in my flintlock but really am happy with the roundballs its shooting.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

error
Old 08-14-2006, 09:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

ORIGINAL: txhunter58
However, I hunt elk and a 223 gr would not do the job in all situations. I do have some 270 grain platinum Powerbelts that I want to try on whitetails though.

223 Gn powerbelt is More than enough for an elk. If you get a good heart or double lung shot, its going to put that elk on its ass. Ive always used the 245 hollow point but may switch to 223 Gn this year. A 223gn powerbelt will drop the elk. Come on, People were hunting with round balls for hundreds of years and dropping black bears, elk, moose, buffalo exe. Its all about shot placement.
I guess we will just have to agree to dissagree. I will wholeheartedly agree with the statement: "If you get a good heart or double lung shot" then it is adequate. That can be said about any bullet, even a 243 caliber rifle 100 grain bullet. However I personally want more of a cushion in case the shot is not ideal. To eachhis own.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:44 PM
Spike

I shot a doe with a 295 powerbelt and 70 grains of Pyrodex in my Lyman Deestalker flintlock. Complete pass through at 70 yards, both lungs. I used the 245 Powerbelts in my inline with 100 grains of 777 and got two deer on rib cage hits, but both times the bullet disintegrated. Lots of damage inside but no exit. No big deal since they went down within sight, but exit= bloodtrails.
The heavier bullets are also longer, which helps them stabilize quicker and are less prone to wind drift. The extra weight means more energy on impact. This yearI am going to try the new heavy Platimums.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:57 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: lefteye
The heavier bullets are also longer, which helps them stabilize quicker

Thats where you have to becareful. In colorado the rule in the book states: Must be single barrel that fires a single round ball or conical projectile the of which it does not exceed twice the diameter..... They will ALWAYS try to get you in someway lol. When i shot that deer and it was a double lung shot and went thru, i was also using 150grain mag load. Forgot to mention that in my other post. But yes, if i were to hunt elk, i would use a 295gn powerbelt in my rifle. If i cant see any vital areas to place my shot, im pretty much rolling around on the groundin painand letting the animal go and hope i see it later on. I would feel comfortable with the 223gn in my inline. But it would have to be in the 100 yard range with an open view of its vitals. My main reason for upping the powder charge VS heavier bullet is due to my shoulder not having any fat or muscle lol. I liked the 245gn hollow point and 150grains powder. With the bi bod installed and shooting in prone position, There is hardly any kick.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:02 PM
Spike

How are the groups with that much powder?

Quick Reply: What Grain Powerbelt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.