HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What Grain Powerbelt
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2006, 08:18 PM
frontier gander

Default RE: What Grain Powerbelt

my dad uses the 295 gn powerbelt in his cabelas sporterized hawken and 90gns pyrodex.The first deer he shot with the gun was a big bodied buck and the 295gn powerbelt took out its shoulder and broke its collar bone in 2 places. When we gutted him, the shoulder was crushed badly, the collar bone fell out with a little pressure. We found the bullet and it was split in 2 pieces. I like these bullets. I used the 245 hollow points lastyear in my inline and i got a great double lung shot and the bullet went right through both sides and the deer only ran 5 yards before dropping. I see a lot on here that use only like 80-85 grains of powder and a heavy bullet. Thats fine and all but even for me " a real skinny" guy i like to use above 100 gns powder and a lighter bullet. Its never failed me. The only time i got crappy shots on deer was my first year MLing. .45 with 285 grain maxi ball. 70 gn's pyrodex RS and i got a upper back shot and then a lung shot. Those bullets i was using were not mushroomings. After that year thats when i switched to Powerbelts. Thats all i will use in my inline. Still wanting to try them in my flintlock but really am happy with the roundballs its shooting.