HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What Grain Powerbelt
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2006, 09:57 PM
frontier gander

Default RE: What Grain Powerbelt

[quote]ORIGINAL: lefteye
The heavier bullets are also longer, which helps them stabilize quicker

Thats where you have to becareful. In colorado the rule in the book states: Must be single barrel that fires a single round ball or conical projectile the of which it does not exceed twice the diameter..... They will ALWAYS try to get you in someway lol. When i shot that deer and it was a double lung shot and went thru, i was also using 150grain mag load. Forgot to mention that in my other post. But yes, if i were to hunt elk, i would use a 295gn powerbelt in my rifle. If i cant see any vital areas to place my shot, im pretty much rolling around on the groundin painand letting the animal go and hope i see it later on. I would feel comfortable with the 223gn in my inline. But it would have to be in the 100 yard range with an open view of its vitals. My main reason for upping the powder charge VS heavier bullet is due to my shoulder not having any fat or muscle lol. I liked the 245gn hollow point and 150grains powder. With the bi bod installed and shooting in prone position, There is hardly any kick.