Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Important question...rookie >

Important question...rookie

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Important question...rookie

Old 08-10-2006, 07:06 PM

Default Important question...rookie

My neighbor just called to inform me that he bought a .50 black powder. This is not an in-line gun. Without doing the proper research he poured some powder in, forced a bullet in and tried to shoot it. Only the blasting cap ingnited. He wasn't sure if the powder went off or not, so he poured more powder in and forced another bullet in then realized that he had two loads in the barrel. I have no experience with these guns (and he has even less) and I know that it is dangerous to try and fire the weapon as is. So any advice on how to empty the barrel safely? There is a plug of some sort at the back of the barrel that I assume is screwed in. My neighbor has tried removing it with a plyers (don't ask me why) but couldn't get it to budge. Is it safe to put the barrel in a vice and try to back this plug out with a wrench? I want to help him out and keep the situation safe. Please let me know if you have the answers. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:16 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Important question...rookie

OK first off we can defuse the sitiuation and make it safe for all. take the barrel off the stock and soak it in water for at least 1/2 hour. Then you have to go to a sport shop and buy a ball/bullet puller to remove the two bullets and then clean the barrel real good and start fresh after getting some loading help.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:25 PM

I shared your advice with him. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:39 PM
Dominant Buck

The breech plug on the back of the rifle is not removable in MOST traditional rifles. There are a few of them that you can take the breech out, but they tell you that in the manual that you read. Pittsburghunter gave good advise, soak the breech in a pail of water and it will not hurt to pour water or betteryet spme oil down the barrel as well. The oil (even cooking oil works)will help the bullets side back out the barrel. The idea is to kill the powder charge and get the powder too wet to ignite. Then they need to get a ball puller and pull both balls out of the barrel. They might also want to get a CO2 ball discharge unit if they do not want to pull the charge. Two balls can be a devil to get out although it can be done. I would also suggest they get a good strong range rod with female ends on both ends, and a T-handle and cleaning jag. Put the T handle in the one end and the ball puller in the other. Many times the ramrods that come with the rifles are not meant to do all that heavy power duty. After you get that ball puller screwed good and deep (as deep as you can get it) then hook the T handle in the rafters, or under your feet or some place that will not budge, and then back away nice and clean holding the rifle.

What probably happened is, they might not have cleaned the new rifle before loading. Many of them come with packing grease in them and must be cleaned. Then you have to make sure after you clean the barrel that the barrel is dry of any moisture and free of oil before loading. Also have your friend pop a couple #11 caps through the nipple before loading. This will clear the fire channel and allow the spark to get down and into the powder charge when they finally get to the point of loading and shooting.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:29 PM

wow... reading this makes me want to hide under my bed. First off, did your friend load the rifle with BLACKPOWDER or pyrodex? Wow this is a scary issue. How much powder did he use? Buy a ball puller, tap it into the ball and then start to screw in and then pull. It will take some force and even some pliers or a ramrod puller to get it out. Do your friend a huge favor and send him our way or atleast buy him a manual for that rifle.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't wait long to get the ball puller. The wet black powder can be corrosive in your barrel. Call around to some of your friends that shoot muzzleloaders. One of them may be able to put you on to someone that can help.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: cbanman

My neighbor just called to inform me that he bought a .50 black powder. This is not an in-line gun. Without doing the proper research he poured some powder in, forced a bullet in and tried to shoot it. Only the blasting cap ingnited. He wasn't sure if the powder went off or not, so he poured more powder in and forced another bullet in then realized that he had two loads in the barrel. I have no experience with these guns (and he has even less) and I know that it is dangerous to try and fire the weapon as is. So any advice on how to empty the barrel safely? My neighbor has tried removing it with a plyers (don't ask me why) but There is a plug of some sort at the back of the barrel that I assume is screwed in.couldn't get it to budge. Is it safe to put the barrel in a vice and try to back this plug out with a wrench? I want to help him out and keep the situation safe. Please let me know if you have the answers. Thanks.
First, take the gun away from him before he kills himself, or worse! Then stand the barrel on its breech section in a bucket full of water and let it soak that way at least overnight! Don't permit the muzzle to point at anything or anyone valuable while doing this!!

Then take the gun to a COMPETENT GUNSMITH, preferably a MUZZLELOADING GUNSMITH, and askhim to remove the two loads. Then ask him to show you &your buddy how to load a muzzleloader correctly, and how to draw a charge.......!!

Considering your friend's level of competence regarding ML arms, DON"T y'all try to pull these charges yourselves!
Old 08-12-2006, 08:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

i would take the vent insert out and do as above, soak it over night in water,THEN ,take it to gunsmith.my gunsmith charges 10 dollars to remove them.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:11 PM
Typical Buck

Let's not get over excited here. Remember lots of non regestered users read our posts. I find the originional poster to be very smart. He knew he needed help. Instead of chewing him a new orifice lets get that riflle shooting.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:37 PM

I agree that the right thing was done by asking what to do, and applaud asking.

I think you should definitely take to a gunsmith, especialy if black powder was used.

Water will work, but I think a light or penetrating oil would be the better answer to killing the powder trapped between the two bullets, if the bullets sealed well and were lubed it would be hard for the water to penetrate.

Again, Gunsmith is the answer.

Quick Reply: Important question...rookie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.