Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Important question...rookie >

Important question...rookie

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Important question...rookie

Old 08-13-2006, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Important question...rookie

ORIGINAL: cbanman

My neighbor just called to inform me that he bought a .50 black powder. This is not an in-line gun. Without doing the proper research he poured some powder in, forced a bullet in and tried to shoot it. Only the blasting cap ingnited. He wasn't sure if the powder went off or not, so he poured more powder in and forced another bullet in then realized that he had two loads in the barrel. I have no experience with these guns (and he has even less) and I know that it is dangerous to try and fire the weapon as is. So any advice on how to empty the barrel safely? There is a plug of some sort at the back of the barrel that I assume is screwed in. My neighbor has tried removing it with a plyers (don't ask me why) but couldn't get it to budge. Is it safe to put the barrel in a vice and try to back this plug out with a wrench? I want to help him out and keep the situation safe. Please let me know if you have the answers. Thanks.
The neighbor did no research -- then put a charge on top of a charge???? The man made two critical errors -- that's before he fired his first successful shot.

Hopefully this neighbor gives-up this sport before he goes any further. He seems to lack common sense..... that being a very important 6th sense for partaking in muzzleloading.

If that were my neighbor, I would ask to see his gun supply/cabinet/safe inside his home. Should you find any guns pointed in the direction of your home, I would ask him/her to store them in a different fashion -- better yet... sell them all for safety reasons.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:22 AM

well this was interesting.

does yer neighbor do anything else thats 'um' "unusual" ???????????????

might be someone ta lookout fer

early
Old 08-13-2006, 12:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Ideaman

I agree that the right thing was done by asking what to do, and applaud asking.

I think you should definitely take to a gunsmith, especialy if black powder was used.

Water will work, but I think a light or penetrating oil would be the better answer to killing the powder trapped between the two bullets, if the bullets sealed well and were lubed it would be hard for the water to penetrate.

Again, Gunsmith is the answer.
I would agree. However, the time to seek help was properly BEFORE POURING POWDER IN AND "FORCING" IN A BULLET! Two times, EVEN!!
Old 08-13-2006, 04:39 PM
Typical Buck

There are very experienced m/l shooters who have double balled and then shot the weapon. To give these green shooters as much crap as a few are here will turn more people off of the sport.

How dare you ask what's in a gun closet because of this error. We are not perfect and I think again both the guy with the problem and his bud did the right think. I think my advice would be fine as well if you soak the barrel water will come in both ends and make the powder inert.

How dare you tell these folks they have no right to shoot m/l rifles. I started totally on my own as well and though I have not doubleballed I could have. Hell I could do it tomorrow it happens. The fact that this greenhorn caught it before he shot the rifle and knew something was wrong tells me they are the type of people I want in this sport.

The next time you feel perfect let's see you walk on water.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pittsburghunter

How dare you ask what's in a gun closet because of this error. We are not perfect and I think again both the guy with the problem and his bud did the right think. I think my advice would be fine as well if you soak the barrel water will come in both ends and make the powder inert.

How dare you tell these folks they have no right to shoot m/l rifles. The next time you feel perfect let's see you walk on water.
I never said "these folks".... making you about as mentally unstable as the guy who double-charged. If you cannot read my posts properly or comprehend the wording, then please don't reply to any of them.

How dare you chastise me for chastising this dimwit. The man did not make a simple mistake -- he made three mistakes - even before squeezing the trigger.

He did not research the sport.
He let himself become mentally distracted while working witha firearm.
He did not load properly by double-loading.

I hope this guy moves next door to you Pittsburgh Hunter. I also hope he sets-up at the range in a stall right next to you.

You-two deserve each other!
Old 08-13-2006, 06:18 PM
Typical Buck

Oh, did I hurt your feeling knowing you may have one? I mentioned nobodys name but felt a few people out here treated this person a bit unfair.

Personally I should be offended but judging from some of your same unthought out posts I will leave it at that.

In the one year I have known you, you have gone from a great source of knowledge to a person who thinks they are the source of all knowledge.

TripleSe7en I see you weekly giving people who do not deserve it a load of crap. I have tried to defend it saying it is mis-communication but at some point you have to realize you are anti social to many people.

Please try to be more respectful to new people asking questions as far as someone like me I don't give a hoot. I am just here for fun and to learn a few tricks.

As I said before let's see you walk on water..
Old 08-13-2006, 06:34 PM
Fork Horn

Heck we've all done some silly stuff learning what we know, We've managed to survive and if we can pass on some of what we have learned the "hard way" it might save someone else. I've personally shot a double charge second charge didn't go off until it cleared the barrel, was really strange trying to figure out why there was 2 holes in the target. Now here is a question just because I don't know and it might work. What about the CO2 setup that is made to screw into a nipple thread and see if it pops out that way. I'm not sure it would work on a double charge but it's food for thought. And YEP he's welcome to set up in the stall next to me, maybe I can help him learn the sport.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:39 PM
Typical Buck

rj, I forgot about the CO2 dischargers. That might be just what the guy needs. Exellent post.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pittsburghunter

Oh, did I hurt your feeling knowing you may have one? I mentioned nobodys name but felt a few people out here treated this person a bit unfair.

Personally I should be offended but judging from some of your same unthought out posts I will leave it at that.

In the one year I have known you, you have gone from a great source of knowledge to a person who thinks they are the source of all knowledge.

TripleSe7en I see you weekly giving people who do not deserve it a load of crap. I have tried to defend it saying it is mis-communication but at some point you have to realize you are anti social to many people.

Please try to be more respectful to new people asking questions as far as someone like me I don't give a hoot. I am just here for fun and to learn a few tricks.

As I said before let's see you walk on water..
Lets see Mr. Dimwit... you were clearly talking to the guy that mention gun closet (safe)... that is me-only. So it is very evident who you were trying to chastise.

I am not anti-social -- but I do get upset atfoul mouthslike you that cannot read my replies properly -- norcannot comprehend them either.

If I come across to you as the "know-all source", then why do I ask ML questions in this forum to folks like Sabotloader, Cayugad, Underclocked.... etc??????.... ask ML questions at other messageboards????

Please post any/all of my "unthought-out posts". Please put your big mouth in real quotations of mine. But most of all -- if you can't do that -- then go away & take your bullcrap elsewhere on the world-wide ML netscape.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:10 PM
Typical Buck

Lets see Mr. Dimwit... you wrre clearly talking to the guy that mention gun closet (safe)... that is me. So it is very evident who you were trying to chastise.

I am not anti-social -- but I do get upset at dimwits like you that cannot read my replies properly -- cannot comprehend them either.

If I come across to you as the "know-all source", then why do I ask ML questions in this forum to folks like Sabotloader, Cayugad, Underclocked.... etc??????.... ask ML questions at other messageboards????

Please post any/all of my "unthought-out posts". Please put your big mouth in real quotations of mine. But most of all -- if you can't do that -- then go away & take your bullcrap elsewhere on the world-wide ML netscape.
Nuff said dude.

You want to keep making yourself look silly and small keep posting on this thread. When you sober up check out your posts.

I am done with you because of your arrogance not your knowledge.

Quick Reply: Important question...rookie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.