Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

its sighted in!

Old 07-26-2006, 08:36 PM

Default its sighted in!

A few days ago i box a box and filled with logs and set it up @ 100 yards and drove the 4 wheeler with my rifle and essintals and moves out a 100 yards. i never shot my kentucky at 100 yards and i needed to see how it would do. The rifle is a traditions kentucky classic .50 caliber flintlock, Loaded with 110grains FFFg powder and primed with goex FFFFg. After my 3 shot pattern i found that i am shooting 3 1/2" grounds at 100 yards. Not to shabby considering it was done off the seat of the 4 wheeler. I much would have liked to rest my rifle on a tree branch but none were around. Looks like im set for this years mule deer hunt.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: its sighted in!

with that loada deer does not stand a chance. Nice shooting and good hunting to you. Make a set of shooting sticks and try them on your next outing. You can use shooting sticks when hunting as well.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:15 PM
Typical Buck

3 1/2" is real good for that amount of power and range. What size ball or bullet where you shooting?

Old 07-26-2006, 10:29 PM

i'll be sure to make a set of cross sticks. where i hunt its a lot of burnt brush/ trees and a top of a canyon. great area for deer tho. I am using a 178 grain round ball. I make my own round balls but i find the store bought hornady fit nicer and usually tighten my pattern. Its just easier to shoot my home mades off first. Plus i feel safer using store bought, they have the exact grade labeled on the box. You know how forest rangers can be picky at times when they field check you. This gun has a 33 1/2 barrel with 1:66 twist so its a chore to steady it at times.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here in Michigan, we would need to recheck our sumer sight-in's at the end of October. Most of us won't even sight-in this time of year.Our mid-summer outdoortempsand November hunting season temps average around 60 degrees difference.So generally, if I'm at the range this time of year, I'm usually there with my open sight riflesjust trying different products for likeness & consistency... leaving my screwdrivers at home until at least mid-September.

I will only bring such tools to a range in July if I just purchased a new rifle & want to get it somewhat close on paper until the fall season arrives.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:58 AM

yeah where i live its really warm and mild during hunting season but last year and this year im hunting close to Vail colorado and the last time i went hunting it was -15 in the morning. I'll deff. go to the target range up there b4 i set up camp.