Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 sighted in my 7mm rem mag.  got a ? >

sighted in my 7mm rem mag. got a ?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

sighted in my 7mm rem mag. got a ?

Old 12-20-2004, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default sighted in my 7mm rem mag. got a ?

we sighted it in its a 7mm rem mag browning A bolt. it was way off at about 100 yards so we moved in to about 25. and i sighted it in so that its shooting like 2 inches high. were do u think i will be hiting? since alot of people tell me that the 7mm shoots extremely flat should i have not raised it at 25 yrds? what do u think. thnks
Old 12-20-2004, 08:57 PM

Default RE: sighted in my 7mm rem mag. got a ?

You should be about .78" low at 25 yards for a 100 yard zero. According to the Remington ballistic calculator. The bullet has not had much time to rise up after leaving the barrel. At 50 yards you should be about .29" low, and at 75 yards about .02" low. That is figures for a 100 yard zero. Hope this helps. This was calculated with a 140 grain bullet. I can figure other weights if you want.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

well i am shooting a 150 grain bullet.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

You should be about .78" low at 25 yards for a 100 yard zero. According to the Remington ballistic calculator
You can calculate all you want but the only way to know for sure is to shoot the gun.The calculations depend on the scopes height above the bore and the actual velocity (instead of the predicted velocity).Neither measurement is given here.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

To start out I sight in dead center or slightly low at 25 yards. This won't guarantee that you'll zeroed at 100, but at least you'll be on paper and can dial it in from there.

Mike
Old 12-21-2004, 07:19 PM

Agree with Stubblejumper on this one. THE ONLY WAY you're gonna know where your bullets impact from your rifle is to shoot at known distances. If you want to know where your bullet hits at 300 yards (or 100 yds), shoot it at those distances (after you get on paper at 25yds). The charts reflect computer generated figures, which may or may not be the same as your rifle/bullet combination. There are other differences as well including barrel length of the "test" gun as opposed to your barrel length. Best bet is to know where your bullet will hit, and the ONLY way to determine that accurately is to shoot your gun.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:08 PM

First of all...forget about all that 25 yard stuff. Set the scope at 100 yards, assuming your hunting whitetails in mixed cover, to 2 inches high. Next, don't guess where the bullet is going, go to a range and shoot the thing as far as you think you'll be hunting. Don't rely on Ballistics Tables, their fun to look at but not reliable for real hunting. I think you'll find those 300-400 yard shots much tougher than they seem. With that setting, your load should be in the 4-6 in low category at 300 yards, that's a long way out there when shooting at game. It's easy off the bench but MUCH practice is advised. Shoot often and shoot a lot!!!
Old 12-21-2004, 08:48 PM

What you say is true, but tables at the very least give you an idea of what you'll be looking at. To discard them in an absolute sense would be assinine. Granted every rifle is an entity all its own and will shoot differently, but the tables are of use, otherwise why would they exist?
I mostly did handgun shooting until recently but the information I got out of the ballistics, recoil and trajectory tables that I found for rifles was of excellent use. I have shot a variety of different chamberings from several manufacturers in rifles since looking at them and the tables have all been pretty spot on; the various Shoot! software(s) floating around have been very useful indeed. Have you bothered to compare your findings at the range/in the field with the info in the tables?
Old 12-21-2004, 10:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Have you bothered to compare your findings at the range/in the field with the info in the tables?
That is the reason that I do not trust the tables.I have found the actual point of impact to differ by significant amounts at distances out to 500 yards.I was using the identical bullets and chronographed velocities so the correct data was used to find the predicted point of impact.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:10 AM

we sighted it in its a 7mm rem mag browning A bolt. it was way off at about 100 yards so we moved in to about 25. and i sighted it in so that its shooting like 2 inches high. were do u think i will be hiting? since alot of people tell me that the 7mm shoots extremely flat should i have not raised it at 25 yrds? what do u think. thnks

THIS is the question he asked. I answered that question. Some of you people need to relax. Your gonna have a stroke or something.

Anyway, to answer your question about 150 gr. bullets. (THIS IS JUST BALLPARK) That is not for you mrfishy34, that is for those who are prone to have a meltdown. Anyways here ya go.

-.76"@25 yards -.26"@50 yards 0.00"@ 75 yards

If you want to extend your zeroed range farther, you can then move point of impact up 2-3" high at 100 yards. Roughly 2.5" high at 100 yards will give you a 250 yard zero. Hope this info helps answer your question.

Quick Reply: sighted in my 7mm rem mag. got a ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.