Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Discharging after the hunt >

Discharging after the hunt

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Discharging after the hunt

Old 07-27-2006, 10:55 AM

Default RE: Discharging after the hunt

ORIGINAL: cascadedad
Troll or idiot?
(Psssttt.....they'rethe same thing)
Old 07-27-2006, 10:55 AM

ORIGINAL: Mike Hill

I know there are two schools of thought on this subject but I have to tell you. I am lazy by nature and I used to never unload my gun at the end of the day unless I thought mosture got in. Well while hunting one day a real nice buck messed up and actualy stopped 60 yards in the open from me. I put the cross hairs on him and took the chip shot (pop) was all I got the deer got real ansey and I put another cap one and (pop) again well the deer took off and I yell (somthing I can't print here) but it must have sceared the Buck and he turned and ran back toward me I coulden't belive it I put on anther cap and of course (pop) well that was that The buck was really gone this time. I walked out of the woods and went by my buddy and he said he herad 3 pops whats up so I told him and said this darn powder must have gotten damp and I capped the gun and said see aimed at a tree and (of course) BANG. it went off. So every day I unload my gun either by shooting it or taking out the breech plub out and pushing the charge out. I hope this helps some one who reads this to never have what happened to me happen to them it feels real bad. Mike
Last year I hunted 2 1/2 days with the same load. The weather was windy and dry. That hunt ended with a beautiful 80 yd shot and went right where I wanted it. The next time I hunted I huntedtwo -1/2 days with the same load, 1 evening, 1 morning. I took both deer in the morning. The last time I hunted last year I removed the first load because of wet snow falling and hunted with that second load the other 2 days of the season. I ate my tag that season. This spring while hog hunting in TN I discharged my rifle after the first day of hunting because of wet/humid conditions. It was an off hand shot and I was about an inch off of my POI. I hunted the next day with a fresh load and killed my pig.

I guess the moral is "if in doubt get it out". If it's raining or snowing or I drop my rifle in a puddle I will pull the load. For those that prefer to pull a load every day, good for you. You always know you have a good load in your rifle. Some of us just prefer to accept the slight risk in good weather. If you do decide to leave a load in, make sure you keep the gun at the same temperature as it is outside. If hunting in cool weather keep it locked in your trunk or outdoor lockup and if hot weather the same since being in Air conditioning can have the same effect but in reverse.

And for the record I have had 1 shot not go off when I was hunting. It was pouring rain that day and I was using an open breech inline. That was the first day of hunting too. It's not happened since.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:59 AM

ORIGINAL: cascadedad
Also, I will be using a 3/16" thick wad card on top of the powder. The diameter is oversized and fits nice and tight down the barrel. This should create a very good barrier against moisture.
Actually, the real issue with moisture iscondensation forming INSIDE the bore if a cold barrel is brought into a warm car, tent, house, etc...and the moisture kills the powder charge.

Old 07-27-2006, 11:03 AM

when i had my tc renegade percussion i would always pull the nipple and fill that cylinder with BP and tamp it down. I never had a misfire doing that. In some certain ML's ive found u have to hold them at a certain angle for powder to get into that cylinder. Also you know those pink nipple covers TC sells to keep the cap on and dry? If you put one of those on the nipple, a musket cap fits nice and snug. Its a cheap way to convert to a musket cap and always handy.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you leave your charge load in you gun then you are taking a risk of it not going off that you do not need to take. Use a ball puller, a Co2 load discharger, or an air compresser. Then you know you have a good fresh load the next morning that has alot better chance of going off. There is no point in leaving it loaded when you can easily blow it or pull it out. I really recomend the Co2 load discharger.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

fillae

Gotta tell you, I very seldom shoot a load out or even pull a load... I am cheap. The only time I shoot a load out is if I believe the load may have become contaminated.

I have left loads in for several weeks and yes maybe i have been lucky but they always go boom. I think as you become more profecient in the sport and gain knowledge of your gun you are able to make this decision.

Old 07-27-2006, 12:00 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Sharp Shooter

If you leave your charge load in you gun then you are taking a risk of it not going off that you do not need to take. Use a ball puller, a Co2 load discharger, or an air compresser. Then you know you have a good fresh load the next morning that has alot better chance of going off. There is no point in leaving it loaded when you can easily blow it or pull it out. I really recomend the Co2 load discharger.

Yep! I do that also!

Old 07-27-2006, 05:29 PM
Fork Horn

When in doubt...get it out.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cum'on guys your beating a dead horse lets keep this forum with dignity we all know the law is the law. We all know people break the law. If you see it, its up to you what you do about it. But argueing here is not the place all have let their feelings be known. I think for the better of the sport and the forum we should just drop the subject.

AS for the subject at hand remember when you take your gun from warm to cold it causes condinsation which is the main problem people forget about. Even a warm truck to the cold air could ruin your day just somthing to think about. Lets keep it fun. Mike