Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Discharging after the hunt >

Discharging after the hunt

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Discharging after the hunt

Old 07-26-2006, 12:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default Discharging after the hunt

This will be my first season to ML hunt and I have a question concerning what to do with the loaded weapon after returning to camp after a hunt. With a rifle you obviously remove the cartridge in the chamber. What about with a ML. Do you just remove the cap or do you discharge the weapon and then reload when you go out again. Assume you are finished for the evening and will head back out in the morning. Also assume this is from a spike camp and the gun will not be in a vehicle.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Discharging after the hunt

There are two schools of thought on this one. I personally shoot mine off at the end of the day, clean the rifle and start fresh the next day. That way I know I am starting on a clean, dry, charged as the same as the day before kind of rifle.

Others, and I used to do it myself, leave the rifle loaded. They pull the cap. Put the rifle in a place where the temperature will not vary greatly from the temperature you were hunting in all day. If the cold rifle warms up, it can cause condensation which can and will sometimes effect the powder charge and the ignition charge as well. To store it over night I take a piece of cotton cloth and set that on the floor. I then store the rifle in a corner muzzle end down. That way any condensation moves away from the powder charge into the cloth. I pull the primer and lay a piece of cotton cloth in the breech and close the breech on the cotton. This is supposed to absorb anything that might condense there.

Just for the record, I have stored a loaded rifle after hunting all day in the wood shop (unheated) a few years back. The next day, the rifle failed to go off on the first 209 primer. It did fire on the second 209 primer. Would have the rife went off the day before had I needed it, I guess we will never know.

Others store their loaded rifle for the entire season in constant temperatures and claim no ill effects for their effort. I just trust my rifle more loaded on a clean barrel and a clean charge... all a matter of preference. One other thing, if you do store a loaded rifle, put a red bandanna through the trigger guard and advise all, that it indicates a loaded rifle and is not to be messed around with.... it also reminds you in the morning ..
Old 07-26-2006, 01:41 PM
BS

I have always left mine loaded for the season, or untill shot. Just pull the cap and "Tag Loaded".................I leave it in the unheated garage locked in a cabinet. Never had a missfire .........yet.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:48 PM

I highly recommend just shooting your animal on opening day. Makes things a lot simpler.

Actually, this is my first year with a ML also, so I had the same question.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:09 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: cascadedad

I highly recommend just shooting your animal on opening day. Makes things a lot simpler.
Hey, there's a thought!
Old 07-26-2006, 02:26 PM
Dominant Buck

Some people, who shoot inline rifles, at the end of the day remove the breech plug and push the load out of the rifle with a range rod. Then they run a couple dry patches through the barreland lightly oil until the next days use.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:46 PM

I question the legality of discharging a firearm after legal hunting hours.If it comes to needing to start with a fresh load I just push the load out and clean the gun.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:50 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Wolfhound76

I question the legality of discharging a firearm after legal hunting hours.
Excellent point.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think I tend to agree with cascadedad............discharging the gun during hunting hours is FAR more satisfying................
Seriously, however.......I have left my gun loaded the entire season before, and had no problem with it firing when the hunting was over for the year. Never had any problems YET..........
Old 07-26-2006, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have one of these. You can safely discharge your muzzleloader without the fouling.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712&rid=&i ndexId=cat20819&navAction=push&navCount=1& amp;parentType=index&parentId=cat20819&id= 0006480

Quick Reply: Discharging after the hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.