Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 mink oil as a patch lube for round balls? >

mink oil as a patch lube for round balls?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

mink oil as a patch lube for round balls?

Old 07-12-2006, 11:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: mink oil as a patch lube for round balls?

We will see how the hand cleaner works there Triple Se7en. I ordered four cans to make the whole thing worth ordering. I figure it is hand cleaner after all...so I got nothing to loose. Besides, you never advised me wrong yet on products...
Old 07-12-2006, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BS

I shoot tight patch and ball combos, and my barrels just don't shoot it well. As stated, a looser combo may.
Your loading may be needlessly tight due to the bore-wall stickiness associated with your lube.

How long have you known Stumpy? When you mentioned finding Permatex faults with more than one barrel, a red flag was raised by me.

I'm done here -- only because I suspect a lie or two. Saying you had inaccuracies in all your barrels said enough for me to just walk-away from here.

See-ya
Old 07-12-2006, 12:05 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: BS

cayugad,

Wher you using the same recipe as Stumpy's only with water soluable oil or just mixing it with water?

Thanks,
Bruce
Almost the same, except no Witch Hazel or Murphy's Oil Soap. It actually works real good.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:16 PM

Question for t7 (or anyone else): Does the hand cleaner have to be "Permatex" or can it be another brand? Never realized there are different strengths of hand cleaner.

When I noticed in another thread your hand cleaner suggestion, I rushed right out to Wally's World and bought a container of it....however, I didn't pay attention to the brand. Can't remember the brand off hand.

I guess the worst thing in the world is that I blew $1.25.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:29 PM
BS

I read where someone uses GO-JO hand cleaner.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Don't some hand cleaners actually have small grit of pumas stone in them? I would avoid any grit type hand cleaner (even though I have not used it yet) simply as it will eventually cause wear in the bore. Although if you have a tight bore, that might not be all bad..
Old 07-12-2006, 06:40 PM
BS

4 cans, hope it works for you..........it makes nice hand cleaner for me.

You wouldn't want pumas [sp] in yor lube.[:'(]
Old 07-12-2006, 08:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Don't some hand cleaners actually have small grit of pumas stone in them? I would avoid any grit type hand cleaner (even though I have not used it yet) simply as it will eventually cause wear in the bore. Although if you have a tight bore, that might not be all bad..
some do, its called PUMAS. i dont think the ones with lanolin and is like a cream have that pumas in it .i dont think it would matter whathand cleaning cream as long as it does not have that pumas in it. i would buy only a cleaner that does not smell.you dont want a cologne smell in woods from it.t7 does come up with good ideas.i wonder if it freezes in winter,i dont think so.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sproulman
t7 does come up with good ideas.i wonder if it freezes in winter,i dont think so.
In the 80s, I contracted services in the oilpatch and was in the field every day for 6 1/2 years, literally almost everyday. I left the lanoline hand-cleaners in the bed of my truck. I don't recall them freezing, but in the summer they would kinda liquify in high heat. They still cleaned fine and had a greasy ( i guess from the lanolin) feel. I used go-jo and some other brand which was cheaper. I just can't remember it freezing.

Happy Hunting, Phil
Old 07-13-2006, 08:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Pglasgow

ORIGINAL: sproulman
t7 does come up with good ideas.i wonder if it freezes in winter,i dont think so.
In the 80s, I contracted services in the oilpatch and was in the field every day for 6 1/2 years, literally almost everyday. I left the lanoline hand-cleaners in the bed of my truck. I don't recall them freezing, but in the summer they would kinda liquify in high heat. They still cleaned fine and had a greasy ( i guess from the lanolin) feel. I used go-jo and some other brand which was cheaper. I just can't remember it freezing.

Happy Hunting, Phil
thanks for info.i was in basement today, i have 2 big cans of it from 30 years ago, still good.it sounds good, t7 has real good info. i like idea of it cleaning the bore a little each shot too. sounds real good., good bye bore butter in winter, bring on handcleaner