Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 mink oil as a patch lube for round balls? >

mink oil as a patch lube for round balls?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

mink oil as a patch lube for round balls?

Old 07-11-2006, 02:27 PM
Spike

Default mink oil as a patch lube for round balls?

Has anyone tried this? Track of the wolf sells it and I guess it wouldnt freeze to the bore, I have had bore butter freeze and become almost impossible to load and really tough on the shoulder when Ive cleared the barrell at the end of the day. I dont think i would use it on a warm day because it would melt, but in the stuff i hunt in it might be what I need.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:38 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: mink oil as a patch lube for round balls?

I bought a can of Track of the Wolf's mink oil which I used as a patch lube. It works all right, but it works better as a boot grease. The best patch lube I found is moosemilk. Since there is witch hazel and alcohol in the mixture the moose milk does not seem to freeze. I've used it in our winters with no problem and the accuracy with it is exceptional. It is cheaper to make and use then mink oil also. All the stuff can be purchased at your local Wal Mart.

[hr]

Liquid Lube - Moose Milk[/b]
[/b]
[/b]
8 ounces of isopropyl alcohol
3 ounces of Castor Oil
4 ounces of Witch Hazel
16 ounces of tap water
1 ounce of Murphy’s Oil Soap

(make sure you mix the ingredients in the exact order they are listed)

I buy a yard of material of 100% cotton blue strip pillow tick at the local wal mart. I wash that in the washing machine. I then line dry the material. After that you can tear the strip real easy off that bolt of material. I like to tear off an inch and a half. Then you soak that strip in moose milk. Ring the excess moose milk out. Then I lay that on an old window screen in the sun and let it dry. This is a dry patch . If you like a more wet patch, you can spritz them with a spritzer bottle.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is the best patch lube in the whole wide-world.It's $1.99 cost will cover thousands of patches. The best part about this stuff is that it the weakest of all hand cleaners -- It's silky-smooth with no grit/pumus -- even contains some lanolin - so it won't harm your bore & provides a dual role as a bore cleaner.

http://housewares.hardwarestore.com/35-176-hand-cleaners/permatex-hand-cleaner-306308.aspx

Old 07-12-2006, 10:32 AM
Dominant Buck

And how does it work as a hand cleaner?
Old 07-12-2006, 11:03 AM
BS

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

This is the best patch lube in the whole wide-world.It's $1.99 cost will cover thousands of patches. The best part about this stuff is that it the weakest of all hand cleaners -- It's silky-smooth with no grit/pumus -- even contains some lanolin - so it won't harm your bore & provides a dual role as a bore cleaner.

http://housewares.hardwarestore.com/35-176-hand-cleaners/permatex-hand-cleaner-306308.aspx

I have tried it..............my barrels don't like it............but yours may...........what works for me doesn't for you, one of the KOOL things about black powder arms!

edit:
I did just wash some of Stump's Moose Milk off my hands with it!
Old 07-12-2006, 11:15 AM
Dominant Buck

I will state, Stumpkiller's Moose Milk recipe that I posted above really has to be one of the best lubes I've every used. I used to make it a little different then Stumpkiller made. I used to make it with water soluable cutting oil I would by through NAPA Auto Parts. And that moose milk works just as good as Stumpkiller's does. But I ran out of the cutting oil one day and made a half gallon of the Castor oil mix and have been shooting that ever since.

Like many, I am always open to new ideas and products. The thinking with Triple Se7en's suggestion is maybe by using that stuff if it works, at the end of the day my fingers would not be so filthy from powder, lubes and what nots...
Old 07-12-2006, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BS

I have tried it..............my barrels don't like it............but yours may...........what works for me doesn't for you, one of the KOOL things about black powder arms!
What was your problem with it? Just saying it doesn't work is not a reply-answer.

I like the Stumpy recipe above. I only question the bore-wall stickiness associated with it.... in comparison to the Permatex -- which has no stickiness.

Of several posters who I turned-on to Permatex, not (1) has come back with a reply such as yours. All range reports have been quite favorable.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:33 AM
BS

cayugad,

Wher you using the same recipe as Stumpy's only with water soluable oil or just mixing it with water?

Thanks,
Bruce
Old 07-12-2006, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

cayugad,

Wher you using the same recipe as Stumpy's only with water soluable oil or just mixing it with water?

Thanks,
Bruce
Avoiding me/my question???
Old 07-12-2006, 11:36 AM
BS

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

What was your problem with it? Just saying it doesn't work is not a reply-answer.

I like the Stumpy recipe above. I only question the bore-wall stickiness associated with it.... in comparison to the Permatex -- which has no stickiness.

Of several posters who I turned-on to Permatex, not (1) has come back with a reply such as yours. All range reports have been quite favorable.
I shoot tight patch and ball combos, and my barrels just don't shoot it well. As stated, a looser combo may.

Quick Reply: mink oil as a patch lube for round balls?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.