Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Scope Recticle Prefference??? >

Scope Recticle Prefference???

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Scope Recticle Prefference???

Old 07-08-2006, 10:00 PM
Spike

Default Scope Recticle Prefference???

I am going to purchase a Bushnell Banner 3-9 x 40 but I need some assistance in what recticle to get. I believe that 4" eye relief is adiquate for BP, correct me if I'm wrong.

I have a 50 Caliber BP that I recieved for a present last year at Christmas, and have looked at these scopes and know that I am going to purchase one just want some input as to what recticle you all like.

[ol][*]Circle X[*]Multi X[*]Illuminated (New I have not looked at this scope yet)
[/ol]
I have never really hunted with optics, and want some advise.

Old 07-08-2006, 10:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scope Recticle Prefference???

The correct one isthe one you like.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:26 PM
Fork Horn

As 777 said it comes dowm to personal prefference. Myself, I prefere the Multi-X because they offer quick target aquision and good accuracy with the fine part of the cross hair (especialy while target shooting). As far a illuminated they work good in low light but you have batteries to contened with (except a few that don't rely on batteries).
Old 07-09-2006, 07:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

kkeiser

Strictly my person preference, but for a muzzleloader I really do like the Mil Dot with my second choice being a dual X - you can also use the dual X as a drop calculator but it is not as clear as a mil dot....

Nikon is offering a new scope Nikon Omega 3x9x40 BDC (bullet drop compensator)

Here is what they look like - but the price is a little high

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0039992712568a&type=product&cm Cat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=nikon+scopes&N=4887 &Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1& amp;Ntt=nikon+scopes&noImage=0

Good luck in your search
Old 07-09-2006, 08:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I guess I like the 5 inch eye releif,[ like the Nikon Omega]I ware glasses and i hate to have the scope click against them and since I am over 6 ft tall the stocks that are made to fit shorter people [like a 14 inch triger pull] make things difficult if I don't want to add an extension to the stock. Lee
Old 07-09-2006, 09:01 PM
Dominant Buck

I really like a multi X scope although I shot a scope a couple months ago and it had a post with a dot on the top of the post. Actually this was a pretty good set up. You could tune the scope to have the bullet hit where the dot is or right on top of the dot.

I have the 1.5-4.5x32mm Bushnell Banner on my Black Diamond XR. I think I will switch that out of a Nikon Pro Staff 2-7x32mm and put the Banner on my CVA Stalker traditional rifle. I really like the Nikon Pro Staff. It is about 11" long has excellent eye relief, and is all the scope you need. In fact, Natches has a refurbished one on special this month for $99.00. I was told that a refurbished scope is any scope that was returned to the company for any reason, like.. wrong color, too long, you name it. The scopes are checked at the factory and then fixed if need be. Whether this is true or not, I could not swear too, but for under $100.00 that is a nice scope.

The multi X I think are the most common. The circle X like my RED DOT is not something for me... all I use on that is the 3MOA dot.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: kkeiser

I am going to purchase a Bushnell Banner 3-9 x 40 but I need some assistance in what recticle to get. I believe that 4" eye relief is adiquate for BP, correct me if I'm wrong.

I have a 50 Caliber BP that I recieved for a present last year at Christmas, and have looked at these scopes and know that I am going to purchase one just want some input as to what recticle you all like.
[ol][*]Circle X[*]Multi X[*]Illuminated (New I have not looked at this scope yet) [/ol]

I have never really hunted with optics, and want some advise.
I prefer a post & crosshair, or a three-post German stylewhen available, because you can see them in poor light and in thick brush/deep woods.

The illuminated reticle is a snare and a delusion. They make it easy to see the reticle all right, but having a light source between your eye and the target tends to wash out the target. Now, if it was possible to illuminate the TARGET,then you'd have something.......besides, they require a battery, which tends to lose power in cold weather, just about the tiime you need it! I shy away from huntingequipment that needs batteries!
Old 07-10-2006, 01:09 PM
Fork Horn

Multi-X is my preference. To me, it is the best of both worlds. If I only have a few seconds to shoot (quite often in heavy cover where I hunt), the bold crosshairs allow me to quickly center the scope on the sweet spot. If the animal is standing or walking slowly, I may use the fine center part of the crosshairs to take a neck shot.

Old 07-11-2006, 11:49 AM
Typical Buck

Circle X reticles are not ordinarily for longer shots. They are really more for turkey or foul in the 20-40 yard ranges IMO.

As mentioned illuminated reticles are fine, but do have a tendency to attract your occular focusto the reticle versus the intended target.

Multi-x (Duplex)or German post are my most often hunting choices.

Although I love a Mil-dot reticle, unless you are going to be using the ranging feature of a Mil-dot then you would be getting something that you don't really need. I find that I prefer Mil-Dot reticles when shooting out to 200 plus yards, and then I am not normally shooting an ML.

I would suggest a standard duplex reticle.

Stay away from the fine crosshairs as they are basically useless in low light or heavy cover - youcould lose and have to re-quire them in a quick shooting situation. The heavy crosshairs are great for dense brush and cover and shorter ranges say under 100 yards, but can be distracting in an open field or longer than 100 yards.

My .02.

Tahquamenon.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:58 AM
Spike

OK, great info Cayuqad.. Would it be worth the extra $20 to go with the Nikon 3-9 x 40 on Natchez??

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=NK6 312BR

Thanks

Quick Reply: Scope Recticle Prefference???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.