Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How much powder?

Old 07-07-2006, 08:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How much powder?

If you go to the Thompson Center website and find their phone number you can get a manual for free. I will save you a little trouble now though.

Their phone number is 603-332-2333.

Good luck and don't be afraid to use real black powder us traditional shooters find it to be a bit better in these rifles. It cleans up just as easy as Pyrodex as well.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: phall2

I have a .50 cal Hawken a friends built for me. I use the smokeless powder. and 150 grain pellets. How much powder do I put in? 150? If not how much? thanks.
Enough has been said about pellets and smokeless.

I have a .50 cal Hawken also. Haven't shot it since I've been playing with a new rifle but it is a very good rifle. I've never had more than 90 2F in mine though I suppose I could. I suggest that you start small. Say 60 to 70 grains and just practice and enjoy it with PRB's, ballets, or pennsyvania conicals. Use 2f Goex, 2f pyro RS, or 2f Triple 7 to start with. Get used to the routine of loading a muzzleloader and have. I can't speak for your or anyone else's hawken,but I have not found a projectile in all lead 385 or below (including PRB) which didn't printacceptably wellbetween 60 and 90 grains BP. Beyond 90, you may have to make some mods. Like using Sabots, or Wads with your all lead projectiles (including PRB's). Though you really do not need to go beyond 90 grains powder.

As hunting season closes in, you will probably want to start beefing up your loads.But you don't have to get crazy about. The PRBhunters will vouch for the PRB's effectiveness to 90+ yardsbut you can also use the Buffalo Maxi-ballets to the same distance effectively using less powder. Below is a chart for 60 grains Pyro P, 270 Buffalo Maxi-ballet which I have chrony'd.

Not alot of powder and still delivering sufficient punch to 100 yards to more than adequately kill deer sized game. A very forgiving load if you make mistakes in the beginning and easy on your should for long days at the range. Enjoy your new muzzleloader, and welcome to the forum.

Happy Hunting, Phil

Old 07-08-2006, 11:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

The guy at my pro shop said it will work...
this is what I have.
Hawken .50 cal.
100 grainsSelect HogdonPyrodex
TC Cold swagged pure lead balls. 175 grain.

Will this work? Please tell me because I dont want to get blown up.

I have used the gun with 100 grain of black powder. I would think this is the same? But then again I know nothing about black powder.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a .50 cal Hawken a friends built for me. I use the smokeless powder. and 150 grain pellets. How much powder do I put in? 150? If not how much? thanks.
[blockquote]
[quote:]

The guy at my pro shop said it will work...
this is what I have. Hawken .50 cal. 100 grainsSelect HogdonPyrodex TC Cold swagged pure lead balls. 175 grain.
Will this work? Please tell me because I dont want to get blown up.

I have used the gun with 100 grain of black powder. I would think this is the same? But then again I know nothing about black powder.[/quote]

OK!! Phwewww! You had me worried! I thought you might actually be usingSMOKELESS powder! A very dangerous NO-NO!!

Pyrodex is NOT smokeless! You are OK using 100 grains of it in any well-made .50 ML with a patched round ball. My target load (best accuracy) with a PRB in my .50 Hawken is 90 grains of FFg or Pyrodex RS (same as Select, fotr all practical purposes). For deer hunting with the patched ball, I go up to 120 grains to flatten the trajectory a little........

100 grains is fine! Indeed, it will perform about the same as 100 grains of real black powder.
[/blockquote]
Old 07-08-2006, 11:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Most Hawkins rifles have a max load of 110 grains of loose powder. Also a Hawkins, depending on the maker, T/C, Traditions, CVA, what ever are not made to shoot pellets. Due to the shape of the breech and the #11 ignition pellets are not the kind of thing to use. The only traditional rifles that shoot pellets are the T/C Firestorm and the Traditions PA Pellet as far as I remember.

Get some loose powder. Pyrodex RS or Pyrodex P would be good powder, Goex 3f is my favorite in a .50 caliber. If you want to use the APP or Triple Se7en 2f, again, do not load more then 90 grains of powder.

Get some Pyrodex RS and some .490 diameter roundball and .015 pre lubed patch. Load 70 grains of loose powder and a patched round ball and start from there. If the accuracy is good, then increase the charge 10 grains to 80 grains and see how the group holds. Keep moving up the powder scale until the groups fall apart. Stop at 110 grains of powder.

If you're going to shoot Triple Se7en as a powder you might want to add a wonder wad/bore button between the powder and the patch. T-7 likes to burn patches sometimes...

No smokeless powder in your muzzleloader. We want you to enjoy the sport. Also try and find a manual for your rifle. In the manual there are loading guidelines and other useful information.
He said Pyrodex Select - the only Select I've yet seen was loose powder. Arethere indeed Select pellets now?