HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How much powder?
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2006, 09:35 PM
Pglasgow
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How much powder?

ORIGINAL: phall2

I have a .50 cal Hawken a friends built for me. I use the smokeless powder. and 150 grain pellets. How much powder do I put in? 150? If not how much? thanks.
Enough has been said about pellets and smokeless.

I have a .50 cal Hawken also. Haven't shot it since I've been playing with a new rifle but it is a very good rifle. I've never had more than 90 2F in mine though I suppose I could. I suggest that you start small. Say 60 to 70 grains and just practice and enjoy it with PRB's, ballets, or pennsyvania conicals. Use 2f Goex, 2f pyro RS, or 2f Triple 7 to start with. Get used to the routine of loading a muzzleloader and have. I can't speak for your or anyone else's hawken,but I have not found a projectile in all lead 385 or below (including PRB) which didn't printacceptably wellbetween 60 and 90 grains BP. Beyond 90, you may have to make some mods. Like using Sabots, or Wads with your all lead projectiles (including PRB's). Though you really do not need to go beyond 90 grains powder.

As hunting season closes in, you will probably want to start beefing up your loads.But you don't have to get crazy about. The PRBhunters will vouch for the PRB's effectiveness to 90+ yardsbut you can also use the Buffalo Maxi-ballets to the same distance effectively using less powder. Below is a chart for 60 grains Pyro P, 270 Buffalo Maxi-ballet which I have chrony'd.

Not alot of powder and still delivering sufficient punch to 100 yards to more than adequately kill deer sized game. A very forgiving load if you make mistakes in the beginning and easy on your should for long days at the range. Enjoy your new muzzleloader, and welcome to the forum.

Happy Hunting, Phil