Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 What Stock Is This >

What Stock Is This

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What Stock Is This

Old 06-03-2006, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What Stock Is This

Doese anyone know if the rifle in this picture has a Maple or a Walnut stock? Those are the options for this rifle.

By the way... it is the Rocky Mountain Hawkens Rifle by Pedersoli.

Old 06-03-2006, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What Stock Is This

The reason I am wondering is because I am thinking about getting this rifle in the fall and I like the stock in that pic.
Old 06-03-2006, 05:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sharp Shooter

Really looks like a Maple to me - a tiger maple...I am guessing because of the verticle wood grain lines...
Old 06-03-2006, 05:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Looking at the picture.. if I had to guess I would say Maple... That'sa nice looking rifle.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Either way it's a dern pretty rifle! Hope the production pieces look just as good.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:19 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

tiger maple is rightthey take a white maple stock, wrap it with a small hemp rope soaked in kerosene, set it on fire, then stain it dark. thats how the old time makers done it, new production is probably different
RR
While this method of producing faux stripes used to be employed on some plain figured stocks, as well as painting the stipes on by hand, it was not the norm. The stripes are caused by the actual grain of the maple and staining the stock in a manner that accentuates them.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Looks like maple to me also, although I was NOT aware that Pedersoli ever used maple for any of their ML. But this could be an exception. Anyway, it is a good-looking rifle!

I just looked a Pedersoli's web listing for this rifle, http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/ArmiCategoria.aspx?CategoriaId=242&lang=en, and it appears that it is available with EITHER a walnut or a maple stock. Since the Hawken rifles also were made with either wood for their stocks, this would be historically correct! Now, I personally would like to see them add a fullstock flintlock version of this rifel!
Old 06-07-2006, 05:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

tiger maple is rightthey take a white maple stock, wrap it with a small hemp rope soaked in kerosene, set it on fire, then stain it dark. thats how the old time makers done it, new production is probably different
RR
If one useshigh-gradefigured maple, there is no need to go through any of these gyrations to get that flame-grain look. It is in the wood. But maple does have to be stained to get it dark enough to look like an old-time rifle. I can think of nothing worse than a blonde Hawken or longrifle!
Old 06-07-2006, 08:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

It appears to be maple stained with trimiaminic acid and oil finished, proably with tung nut oil. Lee