Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 1st timer with aT/C WHTE MOUNTIAN CARBINE >

1st timer with aT/C WHTE MOUNTIAN CARBINE

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

1st timer with aT/C WHTE MOUNTIAN CARBINE

Old 05-11-2006, 10:56 AM

Default 1st timer with aT/C WHTE MOUNTIAN CARBINE

I just picked up a T/C White Mountian Carbine at a great price.I always thought about getting into M/L but never was ready to put money into it,till I got this excelllent deal on this rifle.I don't know much about M/L.I plan on using 777 and just don't know what to use as a projectile.I'll start with a 50-70gr charge.like I stated ,it's a carbine ,so I dont know if I should try conicals,sabots, copper ,lead or what grain of shot to use.If I can get good enough,I would like to stalk-hunt with this rifle.I bow hunt and enjoy the stalk,so a short barrel rifle seemed like a good idea.Any help is highly appriciated
Chris
Old 05-11-2006, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 1st timer with aT/C WHTE MOUNTIAN CARBINE

I would start with some TC Maxi-balls. Fairly inexpensive and good performers.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:16 PM
Dominant Buck

As I remember, the T/C White Mountian Carbine has a 1-38 twist which would make it best suited for conicals. I would get someMaxiball, NOT MAXI HUNTERS. I never had any luck shooting maxi hunters. It should also shoot Hornady Great Plains Conicals very well also. For fun get some of the 320 grain R.E.A.L. conicals. R.E.A.L. conicals also make a great hunting projectile and should not be under rated. They are a very accurate conical.

Also get some fiber wads. I would suggest some of the 1/16th fiber wads in .510 diameter. You can get them at TOTW. You can try one or two of them under the flat bottom conicals and see if you do not get good accuracy. I've also has some luck putting a sub base under the hollow base conicals and getting better accuracy. Remember, conicals need to be lubed with bore butter or some such lube so if you purchase unlubed conicals get some lube to go with them.

Start your loads out around 70 grains and just start shooting for groups. I will guess the rifle will come around at 80-85 grains (if it is like my 1-32 twist rifles) and you should get exceptional accuracy. Also just because it is a carbine does not mean it will not shoot at some longer distances. After you work up a load, I think that will be amn excellent woods rifles for you.

If you want to plink, get some patches and roundball and load the rifle down to about 50-70 grains of powder. It should throw a roundball well, but I think your rifle will really shine with maxiball...

Good luck with your rifle and keep is posted as to how it shoots.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:41 PM
Typical Buck

If it is an older WMC it may even have a faster twist barrel. A friend of mine who has one loves shooting heavy conicals in his with about an 80g charge of whatever powder you like to shoot. I would recomend good ol black 2F if you can find it if not T7 seems to work pretty good in sidelock rifles.

Good luck those are nice brush guns.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:15 PM

Bowmex,

Congrats, you have one heck of a gun there. If it is an early one then the twist will be 1:20, the later guns were 1:38. I bought mine the first year they came out (1:20)and although I have a number of other guns, it's still the first one out of the safe when I'm serious about killing a deer. Mine is just so-so with maxiballs, maxi hunters, and Hornady Great Plains conicalsbut does an excellant job with Buffalo Ballets. It also shoots 240 hornady's/TC sabots very well, the ballets load easier but lube them well to prevent leading,both loads with 80grs of 2f goex.

It gives up nothing in the accuracy department to the longer gunsona stand, it's a pure joy to carry all day while walking, and you almost forget you have it when you hit the thick stuff. Be careful of the wood ram rod, they can break and stick your hand, I still have mine but I use a plastic TC one when hunting in case I get excited and push too hard...LOL

Let me know if I can help, I've had one along time and shotthousands of rounds through it. BTW: If you have a 1:20 twist, you can forget shootingpatched roundballs unless you lower the power charge alot, that fast twist sends them everywhere but where I want.

Doug
Old 05-11-2006, 05:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot a 1-38 twist System One with, Ballets, real bullets maxie hunters and maxie ball. It also does quite well with sabot and bullet in 44cal. 180 to 240 gr. in 45 cal 200 to 230 gr my deer load is 230 gr. XTP and 150gr APP FF. Lee
Old 05-12-2006, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a White Mountin Carbine and I do love it and I agree with Cayugad shoot Maxi balls or great planes out of it. I use 90gr Pydrox RS with them and they are accruate to a dime. Good Luck you got you a great first gun Mike
Old 05-12-2006, 08:45 AM

Bowmex - Sounds like you have a quality ML. If I were in your shoes, I'd first try what everyone else here has been suggesting: conicals. If you do have the 1:38 twist, it will almost certainly be a conical shooting machine. I've been reading this board and a couple of other ML boards for about a year and I've Never heard of someone claiming they couldn't get very respective accuracy using a conical with the 1:38 or 1:32 twist.

Makes you wonder why TC and others dropped this twist in favor of the 1:28 or faster twists. ???

My experiences are similar to others here in terms of what conical has produced nice accuracy: Maxi Ball (NOT the Maxi Hunter) and the Hornady Great Plains. I've haven't tried the No Excuses, REAL, or some of the other premier conicals others (Cayugad) have, but if they say those conicals worked well for them in a similar twist rifle....believe it!

You got a real shooter on 'yer hands. Keep us posted.
Old 05-13-2006, 03:44 PM
Fork Horn

What caliber is your White Mountain Carbine? They were made in .45, .50, and.54 caliber. The .45's, and the .54's have a 1 in 48" twist. The early .50's have the 1 in 20" twist, and the later .50's have the 1 in 38" twist. I have both a 1 in 20" WMC, and a 1 in 38" twist WMC, in .50 caliber. The 1 in 20" likes a saboted bullet, the 1 in 38" likes the T/C Maxi-Ball. I also have a WMC in .54, 1 in 48". This is my favorite. It is very accurate with a patched round ball. I get good results with 80 to 90 grains,Goex FFFG powder in these WMC's.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

They also made them in 58 Cal. My sone has one.

Quick Reply: 1st timer with aT/C WHTE MOUNTIAN CARBINE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.