Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Legal muzzleloading rifle scope in Kansas >

Legal muzzleloading rifle scope in Kansas

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Legal muzzleloading rifle scope in Kansas

Old 04-11-2006, 06:18 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Legal muzzleloading rifle scope in Kansas

I see that he could use a fiber optic front sight and a rear peep or even ghost ring and be legal. That looks like the ticket for your old eyes. I wish you the best of luck.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:26 PM
Typical Buck

This scope does not magnify, or project any light.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/BURRIS-Scout-Scope-1x-with-desirable-reticle_W0QQitemZ7232683102QQcategoryZ31714QQssPag eNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Same for this one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gamemaster-1x32-Scope-Horton-SS048-buySAFE_W0QQitemZ7224585590QQcategoryZ31714QQssPag eNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting
Old 04-11-2006, 07:01 PM
Spike

My days of being very accurate with regular open sights are long gone, but if I use a good peep sightI canshoot some pretty good targets at 100 yds.

A green or yellow fiber optic bead on the front sight will show up brighter later in the eveningthan a red one will. While a small rear aperture may be OK for target shooting a 3/32 to 1/8 makesa better sight picture for hunting. Very early morning and late evening I just unscrew the aperture, put it in my pocket and use the threaded hole as a ghost ring.

Rattus recommended pie plates for target practice and once I tried them thats all I use for peep sights now. Paint a box black and slap a pie plate on it and get an excellent sight picture at 100 yds.

Darrel
Old 04-11-2006, 07:45 PM
Spike

Hey Lane,
If a scope can be used this would be the ticket. I will E-mail this burris scope to them and see what they say. It should fill the bill being a cross hair and nothing more.
Thanks,
Buel
Old 04-11-2006, 08:08 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: tootall4359

My days of being very accurate with regular open sights are long gone, but if I use a good peep sightI canshoot some pretty good targets at 100 yds.

A green or yellow fiber optic bead on the front sight will show up brighter later in the eveningthan a red one will. While a small rear aperture may be OK for target shooting a 3/32 to 1/8 makesa better sight picture for hunting. Very early morning and late evening I just unscrew the aperture, put it in my pocket and use the threaded hole as a ghost ring.

Rattus recommended pie plates for target practice and once I tried them thats all I use for peep sights now. Paint a box black and slap a pie plate on it and get an excellent sight picture at 100 yds.

Darrel
I've shot a lot of pie plates.. I also tape a bright colored index card to boxes. I get the bright colored 3"x5" index cards at Wal Mart. It gives me something to aim for...

I've seen some of your targets you've done with the peep sights.. very impressive..
Old 04-11-2006, 09:33 PM

Colorado went one step further in saying that "Scopes are prohibited". Prior to that, the regulation was just vague enough to where some folks were using "zero power" scopes, like the Burris and the ones in Cabela's.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

from someone that has grown up in kansas city and hunted kansas and missouri exclusively for many years. I would have to say an aperture and a nice bright bead on the front sight should be plenty good since the majority of my shots were under 50 yards and a slim few were near 100 yards and only two I took were beyond 100 yards. between the two states and the 10 years I hunted them ive taken over 30 deer. just my 2 cents
Old 04-12-2006, 06:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: brworth

Anyone have any suggestions. I called Kansas game and fish and they "she" said no scopes allowed. If it does not magnify? I can't use open sights with my old eyes.
Thanks,
Well, it says "peep sights" are OK. So get yourself a large a[erture rear peep, and as long as you can see the front sight, you can shoot OK. I assume your eye proble makes it difficult for you to focus on the rear sight, then the front, etc. But with a large aperture on the rear, you don't have to see the rear sight at all, just look THROUGH it.

You might also try a MERIT IRIS eye disc mounted on the lense of a pair of glasses. These are adjustable, and permit your old eyes to see both sights. I use one for pistol shooting, and find it helps alot.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Take a look at a Ghost Ring type peep with a fiber optic front sight I have the same problem for the last 5 years and itr works for me. Lee