Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Varizone scope legal in Alabama? >

Varizone scope legal in Alabama?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Varizone scope legal in Alabama?

Old 08-05-2008, 08:04 PM
Spike

Default Varizone scope legal in Alabama?

I recently bought an Excalibur Vortex crossbow and put a Lumizone scope on it and love it. I was planning on hunting in Georgia and Alabama. However, I ran across this tonight on the Alabama DNR website:
First, it describes what a bow is:

(1) A legal bow for hunting is defined as either a long bow, a recurve bow,
or a compound bow designed to be held, drawn, and fired in the upright
(vertical) position, or a crossbow....

Then it goes on to say this:

(2) Sighting and aiming devices on all bows shall be void of any electronics
with computational capabilities. The use of electrically assisted aiming
devices shall be limited to illuminated sight pins/beads/markings which are
attached to the bow. Sights with magnification or light projection (laser type)
features are prohibited.

Does this mean the Lumizone or Varizone scopes aren't allowed in Alabama? I know these scopes don't advertize or aren't marked with power settings, only in fps.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Varizone scope legal in Alabama?

the part where it states no magnification is the killer, vari or lumi both are in the area of a 2.5x4x power scope. you need to ck with Al. Game & Fish on that. see what they have to say its not good for CB's specially for those of us with old eyes that don't focus well.[&o]
Old 08-06-2008, 06:37 AM
Fork Horn

Cpoole,
You are correct. You can't use magnification in the state of AL. All magnified scopes are illegal for both compounds and crossbows. Red dots only.
Randy
Old 08-06-2008, 01:29 PM

I bought a lumizone when I bought my Excalibur Equinox last year.
I live in Arkansas and now that you say it has some magnification I'm worried that I'm breaking the law.

Technically, AGFC only lists no magnification under the long bow/ compound bow section and only states in the crossbow section the draw limit, broadhead size, mechanical safety required and no poision allowed.

No where under the crossbow section does it say anything about magnification not being allowed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
08.04 ARCHERY TACKLE RESTRICTION.It shall be unlawful to take or attempt to take wildlife with long bow and arrow or compound bow and arrow other than as specified herein.
(A) Bows having a minimum pull of 40 pounds at some point within the draw length.
(B) Bows without telescopic or magnifying sights.
(C) Bows using arrowheads with a minimum width of 7/8 inch (except any smaller size may be used for other than deer, turkey or bear).
(D) Bows using arrows not containing poisonous chemicals.

08.06 CROSSBOW RESTRICTIONS.It shall be unlawful to hunt with a crossbow of less than 125 pounds pull, or with an arrowhead less than 7/8 inch in width (small game hunters exempt), or without said crossbow having a functional mechanical safety device.It shall also be unlawful to possess arrows containing poisonous chemicals.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm thinking that if I can't use my Lumizone then I will just mod a bow sight to work on my crossbow instead of going with a red dot scope.

Thanks,

Tworr

Old 08-06-2008, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

hold up hold up, the post was about Alabama, not Ark. we seemed to have gotten a misunderstanding![][:-]
Old 08-06-2008, 03:26 PM

Just got me to wondering how it was worded and if it applied to us in Arkansas.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:38 PM
Spike

Guess I'll have to contact Alabama game and fish but it looks like I'll be using my crossbow in Georgia and my compound in Alabama.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have lived and hunted AR for some time, under AR law you can use a scope on a crossbow, but not on a compound,recure or long bow.
I do believe the law makers took into consideration what each group wanted for themselfs and ignored the sneaking around and backstabing some groups do. I do believe they have the right idea. Lee
Old 08-07-2008, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Kinda O/T here, but I came across an older model Weaver K-3, post reticule I put on a Ruger 44 mag carbine I bought recently. In looking for info on the scope, I learned they also sold a "K-1" model. Since the K-3 is 3x, I assume [look out] the K-1 is 1x or no magnification and would be legal in Al??? something to check out, maybe.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

There is several one power scopes made I believe the best one is the Nikon used a lot in Wiaconson for muzzle loader hunting they have a no magnification law. Lee

Quick Reply: Varizone scope legal in Alabama?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.