Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 National Muzzleloading Rifle Association >

National Muzzleloading Rifle Association

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

National Muzzleloading Rifle Association

Old 02-18-2003, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default National Muzzleloading Rifle Association

What do you know about the National Muzzleloading Rifle Association? Are you a member? Do you like it?
Old 02-18-2003, 04:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: National Muzzleloading Rifle Association

Am not a member at present, but should be. I like the NMLRA, and their mag., Muzzle Blasts, is hard to beat in the BP field.
Old 02-18-2003, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was a member many years ago when I belonged to a BP club.I never renewed my membership when I moved away from the BP Club.I' ve gone to N.M.L.R.A. Headquarters in Friendship IN.a few times over the last couple years.I never went in but rode by a few times.It' s really in the middle of nowhere.There was some event going on. Lots of campers, shooters and allot of fun going on.It looked like a Flea Market across the street.The first time I rode by it and never knew it was there. They could have a better sign with the N.M.L.R.A. Logo. It was July and Mid September last year when I was up there.Then once the year before.I have family in Indiana.If I lived up that way I would love to get into shooting with another N.M.L.R.A club again.

Isn' t that your neck of the woods there 1950?.I like Lawrenceburg,,Aurora,& Risin' Sun.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 02-18-2003, 09:36 PM

I am a member of the NMLRA, and on the Board of Directors of an NMLRA Charter Club. The NMLRA is the national sanctioning body for muzzleloading competition and also provides a number of educational and recreational programs for muzzleloading shooters.

You can can see info on our club, Kickapoo MuzzleLoaders at www.KMLclub.org

Where are you located? I can hook you up with a club you can check out.
Old 02-21-2003, 11:55 AM

Tal/IL,

I must respectfully disagree with you about the NMLRA being " The national sanctioning body for muzzleloading competition" . The NMLRA only governs NMLRA sanctioned events. They have no say so what so ever in any of the NRA, 4-H or NSSA sanctioned events. Unfortunately, each of these associations, including the NMLRA, have their own set of rules for the matches they sponsor. For example if you live in Texas you have to shoot a Texas State Rifle Assoc. sponsored match to advance to the NRA regional and national matches. These matches do not count towards NMLRA, 4-H, IBHA or NSSA competitions. Just as shooting a NMLRA match will not gain you entrance to the NRA Blackpowder Cartridge Rifle or Muzzleloading Rifle matches at the Whittington Center in Raton. The lack of cooperation between the different organizations is truly unfortunate because there can never really be a “National Champion” because most shooters do not shoot competitively in all of the different groups. Therefore, each group will continue to have their champions as according to their sets of rules.
Old 02-22-2003, 07:33 PM

Yes, there are other organizations which have excellent, though limited, programs. Perhaps I should have said " the predominant national sanctioning body for mzzleloading competition" , as the NMLRA program is by far the most complete, both in terms of variety of disciplines and competitor classes. (My 10 year old son was the #6 sub-junior qualifier nationally in the 2002 NMLRA territorial matches.)

denvas,
I will also add that in the mid ' 70s, when I was heavily involved in ML bench-rest competition, I and many others became extremely unhappy with the management of the NMLRA. The tone of your post makes me wonder if you were not also among that group. In recent years, the NMLRA has made trememdous strides in improving it' s management and focusing on service to members. I highly recommend the " new" NMLRA.
Old 02-22-2003, 10:40 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-23-2003, 05:50 PM

All that I was trying to say is that there are other groups that hold muzzleloading matches out there besides the NMLRA. As far as the NMLRA having its ups and downs, I have to agree with you. I have been a member of NMLRA, among other shooting and hunting related groups, since the mid 70' s and have witnessed many of these changes myself. However, even though I feel that the NMLRA has a long way to go to become the group that represents ALL phases of muzzleloading the best, I will admit that they are currently the best group we have for representing competitive muzzleloading shooting. As far as muzzleloading hunting, muzzleloading related politics and youth activities go, the NMLRA has a long way to go when compared to other muzzleloading related groups. Hopefully some of the recent steps taken by the NMLRA to correct these inadequacies will take a hold and will produce long term changes in the NMLRA operation in these areas. Unfortunately, it has only been a mouthing of promises to take action about doing something in these areas that has been the prevalent NMLRA action in the past. I look forward to seeing the NMLRA progress in these areas and stand ready to help where I can.