Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 new muzzleloader question >

new muzzleloader question

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

new muzzleloader question

Old 04-10-2006, 01:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: new muzzleloader question

ORIGINAL: SaskBushMan

I just started researching CVA and I am scared away, they may have fixed any problems but hearing that they may not pressure test properly if at all turns me off. I like the Traditions line and from what I was told the trigger problem is fixed(pursuit models). now is there and benift to a bolt action or is a break open the way to go? I like the pivot block action like the omega has but in my price range the only option is the CVA kodiak and I feel CVA's quality may be questionable. Where are traditions barrels made?
As far as bolt vs. break action or pivot block action; the main difference is the bolt gun will be about four to six inches longer for the same barrel length. Another thing to consider is the bolts require a little more attention when cleaning and some are more difficult that others to clean. Those are the two reasons I went with the Omega. I believe all the spanish import barrels for the lower level guns come out of the same factory. I think the newer rifle that uses the switch barrel to cartridge calibers isa different barrel manufacturer. Not sure the barrel thing is a big issue but it just does not set well with me so I stay with the USA made stuff (the Pursuit LT convinced me to stay away from spanish stuff). There are a lot of guys with the imports that love them so what more can I say. PS: if you want to experiment with smokeless muzzleloading there are barrels available for the NEF that will allow use of smokeless powder. YOU MUST USE A BARREL AND RIFLE THAT IS INTENDED FOR SMOKELESS POWDER; not most of the rifles made. I think other than the SMI conversion barrels for the NEF the only other smokeless rifles are the Savage and that expensive one from Michigan.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:55 PM

I would have to go along with the other post here.
I would definately do a long & hard search for a T/C
Omega. I think if you do your homework you can
probably find a black/blue Omega for $299.00 or even
less. That would leave you time to save-up & get
all the other items you will want & need. The Knight
is a fine ML but dollar for dollar I'd choose the T/C.
It is really hard to beat the warranty and the service.
From T/C.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

You'll never find an omega for 300 in canada..in fact you won't findto manyknights for that either (NEW). 500 is about where the mainstream MLsit, not saying they don't have lesser models but the resaler's all stock this market level for BP rifles. Theyoffer the CVA, Traditions and NEF's(albeit these are not super common either) for the budget minded consumer. Unfortunatley your options are slim for new ML's. I'd be searching the used market and my budget was 300ish. Buying the NEF Huntsman (new) or saving till I could step into the 500 range. Fact is up here you can find used inlines that are good deals, just like archery guys buy them then forget them...but you have to be patient and thorough as well (removing the stock checking for rust, etc.).

That saidI know many satisified BPI shooters, I have personally shot them a fair bit they seem alright but wouldn't go craming them full of mag charges. In realityeven the big boys don't perform great at mag. levels unless you are willing to put considerable time to find combos and couple that with living in boone dock saskatchewan it might just make youpullout your hair. Plus not something any experienced BP/ML shooter would suggest for a new guy. Think of finding 80-100gr powder loads, don't go over 300 gr sabots and you'll be fine with starting out with either.

If your wanting to shoot 200 yards, group insidea softballwith less than 12" bullet drop then better save your pennies...just the facts mam

PS - Good Luck
Old 04-11-2006, 06:47 PM
Typical Buck

I've owned two CVA rifles, both inexpensive, both shoot fine. Killed nicest deer ever with one of them. If you're hunting in the woods with shots under 100yds, they'll do as well as anything else.

If money were no object I'd get a Savage ML with that lovely trigger.