Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Muzzleloaders Accuracy? >

Muzzleloaders Accuracy?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Muzzleloaders Accuracy?

Old 04-09-2006, 03:00 PM

Default Muzzleloaders Accuracy?

What Brands and models have proven to be more accurate and less finicky? Thanks,ackleyfan
Old 04-09-2006, 03:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Muzzleloaders Accuracy?

Ackleyfan

What Brands and models have proven to be more accurate and less finicky?
I think the Knight's have always survived on accuracy as well has Thompson Center. There are just so many quality guns out there. A lot of what you might get will end up being what do you wantit to do and how much do you want to spend? Are looking for an inline type - bolt, drop breech, break-open, or are you wanting some thing more traditional. Look at your states regulations - some guns can be used some can not... some ignitions can be some can not.... even down toprojectiles what can you use where you might want to hunt.

The worst thing is everyone has their own personal thoughts - but until you get one in your shoulder and get the feelof it, that is what counts a lot. I think today the guns are really close and equal to care, but there still is a separation of quality.

Good luck in your search....
Old 04-09-2006, 03:45 PM

I been looking at the Omega and Knight in 50 cal hoping to get one that isn't to finicky and very accurate,will be using for elk and deer!
Old 04-09-2006, 04:07 PM
Dominant Buck

If you want a rifle that is not finicky and very accurate, I would suggest a Thompson Center. My Black Diamond XR is a very accurate rifle and will shoot about anything you shove down it. Now while my Knight Rifles are very accurate, they are a little more selective of the projectiles they like. But once you find the right projectiles they are all shooters..
Old 04-09-2006, 04:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ackleyfan

Between those two - I would go with the Omega - it is really pretty straight and easy to use.. not as easy to clean as everybody would have you believe - but not difficult... The Knight, and I am assuming you are talking about a bolt action not the Revolution is alittlemore difficult to shoot in that you have little placstic gadgets that you have to insert 209 caps into then into the rifle... I think the Omega would still be a little easier to clean.

It is my personal belief the 50 cal is the better choice....

You can not beat Thompson Center - lifetime warranty....

Old 04-09-2006, 04:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hawken 54 cal 1-66 twist is had to beat as an all around gun legal most places very capable for big game to 150 yards if you can shoot well enough. [suggest a renagade]
A TC or Knight in 50 cal inline is very good because their is so much available for them,a White or an Austin Hallock are good.
I also like a 54 inline with a 1-38 twist with 50 cal bullets my System One is very accurate and the exit hole will suprise you. But they are hard to come by. Lee
Old 04-09-2006, 07:14 PM

I have both a Knight in 50cal. & T/C Omega in 50cal.
The knight is ok but a bit particular as to what it will
shoot and shoot accurately. It is more time consuming
when cleaning. The Omega is the more accurate of the
two, and this may be because of the operator. But once
I found what powder/bullet/sabot it liked it is a deadly
accurate shooter. As stated the Whites, A&H, Remingtons,
are very accurate. With todays ML it is more of what
feels good, looks good to the buyer, will do what the
buyer wants it to do, and fit the budget of the buyer.
So good luck in your search.

Danny
Old 04-11-2006, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I vote to stay with the 50 cal. Just look around in all you sporting fire arm stores and take a look at the choices of bullets and sabots. If there is two choices in 54 (as in my case) there will be twenty in 50.
T/C does have the life time warranty, and it isn't just a paper one either.

Al
Old 04-11-2006, 07:06 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Ackleyfan

I been looking at the Omega and Knight in 50 cal hoping to get one that isn't to finicky and very accurate,will be using for elk and deer!
First off, check the regulations where you want to hunt. Are there ignition restructions? Some States insist on an open breech or no 209 primer ignition. Others restrict the kind of projecctile you can shoot. All of this would effect my decision on the rifle I choose.

If you want a safe, all around excellent rifle, although harder to clean then these new break opens, the T/C Black Diamond XR is a hard rifle to beat on the range. They come with three different ignition systems, are open breech, and are great shooters..

You also want to stay with the .50 caliber as elk are hard enough to bring down, and that caliber is the minimum in some places you might hunt.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

White Ultra Mag - Sportsman's Warehouse - Phoenix, AZ at 623-516-1400 or Aurora, CO at 720-858-1800

Should be legal in any state that allows inline muzzleloaders.

signed,

The Ultra Pimp

Quick Reply: Muzzleloaders Accuracy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.