Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Blackjackhill

Old 04-01-2006, 09:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Blackjackhill

ORIGINAL: sam52

Cayugad, I have a T/C Hawken .54 -1:48 with williams fiber optic sights.
I had to put the williams sights on last year due to these eyes anin't young anymore. they really helped in low lite.

I made the gun from a kit back in 1980, if I remember right, I paid about $115.00 at the gun shop.
That is an excellent rifle without a question. I too, built a Thompson Center Renegade around the same time, in the same caliber. Face it, that was the popular caliber back then. Everyone shot .54 or .58 calibers then. I know all about the sights you talk about, I replaced mine with a Thompson Center Peep Sight. It really made it accurate but also in low light made it even worse for me to sight with.

Since then, I have bought a couple of the Thompson Center Hawkins rifles, which I find more comfortable to shoot on the range with large powder charges compared to the Renegade.

When I shoot my Renegades I get better luck with the 300 grain R.E.A.L. conicals.I load them with 80 grains of Goex 2f and the accuracy is excellent. In fact all my friends shoot them in their rifles also. Maybe because it is free projectiles from my stash..

On the 380 grain R.E.A.L.s I had to put a wad under them and lower the powder charge down to 75 grains to get accuracy out of them. Why the lower charge makes them behave, I could not tell you.

With 80-90 grains of 2f, these rifle are also a roundball shooters dream. I have four different Renegade (identical actually ... why I have no idea) and one of them is just an outstanding roundball rifle.

Lately I have gotten into the fast twist Green Mountain 1-28 twist Stainless Steel barrels that drop into these stocks. Why I bought two of them I have no idea, but the one I have been shooting is an excellent shooting barrel. It will shoot conicals and sabots as well. Also being 28 inches, it really makes the Renegade seem longer, but I like it.

I have to cast up more R.E.A.L.s soon. I checked my supplies and am almost out of the .54's and the .50's that I cast. I also use my own homemade castor oil lube on them and it seems to work real good.

Good luck with your rifle Sam...
Old 04-01-2006, 08:37 PM
Spike

Cayugad,

I also have had excellent results with the round ball, matter of fact, that’s all I ever shot.
My go to load is a .535 with .10 patch goex 2f, 100 gr.
This is a great hunting load for me, I have taken my share of elk and even though I’m in the process of trying out the conicals, it will be hard for me to stray from the patch and ball come September.

Old 04-01-2006, 08:46 PM
Dominant Buck

I've tried loading .535 ball and could not hardly get it done. I can remember one afternoon a friend and I were shooting the new .535 ball we casted. A real comedy routine out there, we set them and then could not get them down the barrel, so we stuck a heavy range rod against them and had to ram the rod against a tree to get the ball set enough to load on the powder charge because neither of us remembered a ball puller. That was the first .535 experience I had. I still have the LEE mold in my collection... they work great out of my wrist rocket sling shot...
Old 04-01-2006, 08:59 PM
Spike

Cayugad,
I forgot to mention, but you spoke of your Green Mountain barrel 1:28.
You must of bought that recently, I always watch there site for there monthly internet specials and when that barrel came up for sale I started to shake.
The barrel you bought is what I always wanted, but not in the stainless steel. I even contacted GM and told them if they would offer the same exact deal, but in a blued or plum brown, they would all be able to retire in two months.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:02 PM
Dominant Buck

They had a special a couple months ago.. and if you bought two of them you got an even better deal. Well I never could pass up a deal, so I have two of the barrels. They really are good shooting.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:53 PM
Spike

I don't belive it. My order came from BJH,the conicals look great,I will send them a thank you note and say no hard feelings.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:49 PM
Dominant Buck

His maxi balls are one of my favorite projectiles. 90 grains and a wonder wad and I normally get excellent accuracy. I talked to Bill yesterday sinceI am down to one box of maxi ball. Bill said he is unfortunatly for the customers,behind in orders now. He said he has some new molds he wants to try, but no time to cast them up.

I can remember when they first started out. You'd send them an order and he'd come home from his other job and cast up the order. Now because of all the ordersthey got, he is casting full time.

Keep us posted how the projectiles work for you.

Old 04-04-2006, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Need to get him into making N.E.W. conicalsand the one like TooTall makes. More sources, the better!