Yes, I got an urge and bought another rifle. This time it is one of the rifles I have always wanted so maybe this will end my collection foolishness. It is a White Ultra Magnum M97. It has a 26 Stainless Steel Barrel,..." />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 I done it again... >

I done it again...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I done it again...

Old 03-15-2006, 06:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Default I done it again...

I guess the word is out. I went and did it again. Yes, I got an urge and bought another rifle. This time it is one of the rifles I have always wanted so maybe this will end my collection foolishness.

It is a White Ultra Magnum M97. It has a 26" Stainless Steel Barrel, Bell and Carlson Gray laminate stock, bold adjustable trigger, fiber optic sights, hard case, well the works lets say.

Underclocked is far more able to describe the parts of the rifle in detail. In fact it is identical to the rifle he just purchased. After all this is kind of his doing. He hooked me up with a great deal on a rifle I always wanted and I went and did it.

Lets just say some of us here at the house are really excited about the new arrival, and some not so excited. At least we have something to talk about, when we do talk now...

No really, everyone here is waiting for the new arrival so we can shoot large chunks of lead down range. All is well at home and I found a place in the gun rack for this one. (I think)

I will post some pictures of it when it gets here....
Old 03-15-2006, 07:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: I done it again...

Congradulation on the new arrival. If I had a cigar for all the new arrivals to your family I would have a box of them! [8D]

I have heard great things about the White rifles.

Have you heard from Sabotloader?
Old 03-15-2006, 07:56 AM
Typical Buck

Should be sweet!

I have also wanted a White for some time now. Perhaps this year, or next.

Congradulations. You have just added countless action items to your "Honey Do" list.

Tahquamenon
Old 03-15-2006, 08:53 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: cur_dog

Congradulation on the new arrival. If I had a cigar for all the new arrivals to your family I would have a box of them! [8D]

I have heard great things about the White rifles.

Have you heard from Sabotloader?
Sabotloader was on earlier but I have not heard from him for a day or two. He must be busy with his work or his rifles...
Old 03-15-2006, 08:55 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Tahquamenon

Should be sweet!

I have also wanted a White for some time now. Perhaps this year, or next.

Congradulations. You have just added countless action items to your "Honey Do" list.

Tahquamenon
Tahq.. this was a rifle I have wanted a long time but always managed to talk myself out of buying. Well we are done talking now. Yes I want to see if all I have heard about them is true. I am sure it will be a good rifle and besides, I have some hunting in the future where this rifle in particular might come in real handy...

Old 03-15-2006, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cayugad, it's identical except mine has the synthetic B&C stock. Shot mine a little yesterday using iron sights. I don't see iron sights worth a hoot - everything is pretty much a blurr. Fiber optics are unusable with my eyes, they dance and blur too much in front of my face. The one criticism I would have of the Ultra Mags is the front fiber optic insert is not supported well enough and is easily broken. I couldn't use fiber anyway so replaced the front insert and rear ramp with similar but conventional sights I had removed from a 700 Remington years ago. Worked outwell and, though they are still blurry, I can at least USE them at 50 yards. Don't think I would try a shot with them unless I had plenty of time to aim though.

Shot a total of 7 shots - first and second shot at 30 yards are represented in green on the below target, the remaining five shots were at 50 yards. Shot using RWS caps, 75 grains by volume of FFg T7, overpowder fiber wad, and some .504 caliber NEW concicals (cast by a friend). The wind was pretty steadily from left to right.

Surely isn't bragging material but, with my eyes, it'll do.

Rifle was easily cleaned and took about 1/2 the time required to clean a Knight Elite I also shot yesterday.

Old 03-15-2006, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ps: just tell her to come and kick my butt, it's used to it.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:38 AM
Dominant Buck

well it looks like they tuned in pretty good with the 50 yard target also. Nice shooting. This gray laminate stock I take it is of a different manufacturer? I also looked at the Warne bases and rings. I like them. I will give the quick release another try. Maybe with factory bases and rings the thing will hold a true zero better then the Burris Quick Release did. I still have not decided on a scope but I think I will invest some better money thing time and look at a Leupold or Nikon although I really have no complaints with my Sightron I to be very honest.

I have a lot of the 460 grain No Excuse but might pick up a box or two of the 495 since this rifle is alleged to be such a leadslinger...
Old 03-15-2006, 10:54 AM

Hey Cayugad, I guess all that snow and and no shooting makes the mind go nuts, had do buy one. Congrats.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cayugad, RW still has one of those Buck Golds left last I knew. That's a dern good scope for the money. I'm sure you would need to remove the rear sight though.

On those Warne QDs, just snug them with thumb pressure - no more. They'll work great for ya.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.