Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Stopped by Fox Ridge Outfitters today. >

Stopped by Fox Ridge Outfitters today.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Stopped by Fox Ridge Outfitters today.

Old 03-20-2006, 04:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default Stopped by Fox Ridge Outfitters today.

I was cruising down gun ally today and stopped into Fox Ridge Outfitters. ( I call the trip gun ally because within 1/2 hours drive you have Kittery Trading Post, Fox Ridge, Harvey's sporting collectables and the Ammo Dump.

Well seeing as though I needed a new front sight for the Omega to match the rear sight I decided Fox Ridge would be my stop of choice. I am very happy with the changes there and it is reflected in their new web sight if you have checked it out lately.

First rifle I checked out was the new Pro Hunter It was cool but not really my kind of gun. The stock looks very ergonomic and sticky for those wet/icy days in the field. I did not check out the new breech plug set up because I have the feeling I am going to stick with my trusty "old Encore" for years to come. I am concidering having some checkering done on that rifle as the walnut can get slippery when wet or cold with cotton gloves.

What I really wanted to check out was how they were doing sidelock wise after reading about the new models for sale on the website. So I asked to see their new FRO Carbine and the sales man said, " Do you want to look at the flintlock or percussion model"!!!! I was astounded and I can report to you that even this exellent little carbine comes in both flint and cap and also has a 1:66 option to boot. They also have many model options for the Renegade again and this store is beginning to look a little like it did 10 years ago. They had a few Omegas on the racks but mostly the sidelocks and Encores. They had racks of barrels and stocks for the Encore for every need. I was very impressed with how things looked and I will be shopping there for my next T/C Muzzleloader.

Back to my next m/l it will be the FRO Carbine in flint with 1:48 twist and standard finish. This rifle is so light and handy you would never need a sling for it. For no charge you can change the fiber optic sights out for standard sights and to top it all off the thing is is only $374 the way I want it. It is about $450 with the 1:66 twist. Less for percussion models of course.

I forgot to mention to any one interested the Pro Hunter was $750.

Oh btw I went in there to buy a new sight for the Omega, they gave it to me
Old 03-20-2006, 05:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Stopped by Fox Ridge Outfitters today.

Here is what the percussion FRO Carbine looks like. Just imagine it with regular iron sights and a flint lock.

Old 03-20-2006, 05:53 PM

That thing is might sexy lookin.
I want one
Old 03-20-2006, 06:50 PM

What lenght barrel is that ? It looks like a really nice brush gun.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:21 PM
Typical Buck

21" Barrel on this model.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:42 PM
Fork Horn

Pittsburghunter,
The FRO Carbine looks like a shortened Renegade Hunter. At 1st I thought it looked like a New Englander with a recoil pad, but this carbine sports a octagon barrel.....sweet!
Old 03-20-2006, 08:21 PM
Typical Buck

What I liked about it and I am not sure if it shows in the picture is it has a pretty good drop and it shoulders right up to point blank. I am a big guy and short little guns don't do that for me most of the time. They had many models there all handled the same but the flint was so cool looking and it felt like part of my arm.

I am not use to guns fitting good to me I am a lefty and when something feels good I need to own it. It was like a Scout all over again but lighter.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:33 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm glad I do not live near a store like that. Did they have any big bore Hawkins on sale there? Not that I would buy one.

That looks like a neat little rifle. Especially with the 1-66 twist. I will have to look and see if I can find anything on that rifle.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:34 AM

That rifle is not all that new, T/C put out one called a White Mountain Carbine in the early 90's, looks exactly like the FRO that is pictured. Only differences I can tell is that the twist on the WMC was faster and the bbl was half actogon and half round=lighter!

I bought mine about 1991, at the time I was looking for a hunting gun and had pretty much settled on the Renegade. I went to the local gun store to get one, they had just recieved their first WMC and had it layingon the counter. Like someone above said, it pops right up to your shoulder and is a pure joy to carry all day, especially when walking the thick stuff, did I mention it shoots great!! Even though it's not all that traditional, when I'm old and feable and it's time to sell off some of my guns, that little WMC will be the lastMl'r standing in my safe.

I'm gonna give them a call and see if the bbl's for the FRO fit in the WMC and if they have a 1:66 in .54, the WMC twist is to fast for roundballs with hunting loads..

Doug

Old 03-21-2006, 05:16 AM

That is a nifty looking little Carbine, can anyone say why it would cost more with a 1:66 twist than 1:48? Just kinda curious.

Quick Reply: Stopped by Fox Ridge Outfitters today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.