Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Corrosion test

Old 03-04-2006, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Corrosion test

Hey UC,

Six more posts, and you'll be a Non-typical.

I'm gonna go shoot my gun off now.

Happy Hunting, Phil

Old 03-04-2006, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Phil, WHUT?
Old 03-04-2006, 11:29 AM
Fork Horn

If I'm storing a gun long term I coat a patch with Rig and use it to coat the bore. Trip 7 I live 3 miles from the Atlantic so I think this area might be considered a high salt enviroment.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

rust prevention is such a fun subject.i always thought WD-40 contained high levels of alcohol as the ingrediant to displace water. i was thinking of going over to gander mountain and getting the teflon coat on one of my guns but im a little iffy?. my local auto paint guy said he can powder coat my barrels in any color for like 50$. one of my local gun dealers i know just uses spray paint on his pump gun barrels. he swears its the same as those camo coated barrels. there was a guy on here a couple months back giving away cans of special rust spray. i have used the can up and so far so good on everything but i need more time to see if it holds up. supposedly its the best there is. it smells kinda like apples and is non toxic i believe. this is the site www.eurekafluidfilm.com
Old 03-04-2006, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Underclocked

T7, have you done any such testing as you suggest? Please post the test results.
Rich

Just with the padlocks. I had purchased both at the same time. Actually accidently left the WD-40 sitting on a wood flooring inside the first shed after locking it. I didn't want to return to my house to fetch the key - so I grabbed the Rem-Oil from the 2nd shed shelf & used it for the 2nd padlock. A few times every winter, I go into both sheds for stuff -- usually simoutaneously.

I think your posted test results are sound, I was just surprised the way they alluded any mentionto the pros&consinside the bore.

Personally, I feel the same way you do - just as the demonstration shows. WD-40 works fine in open air applications - also in closed air applications where humidity is either not present - or humidity removed by other means. If I know humidity may linger near my guns for extended periods - like when I constantly forget to dy-out my three gun safecharcoal cannisters in the oven, [X(][X(] then that's why I prefer topurchase the specialized oils instead.

============================

Phil

UC has neverforwardeda "typical" post anyways..lol .... so the non-typical is made-to-order.[X(]

Go shoot your gunoutdoors this time Phil....[:@]
Old 03-04-2006, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Original: Triple Se7en

Go shoot your gunoutdoors this time Phil....[:@]
I'm not going to even try to guess what this means .

Happy Hunting, Phil
Old 03-19-2006, 01:52 PM
Typical Buck

I am not going to run this very long but I do know a little about lubricants and WD-40 may have done well in one specific test (which I doubt) however even if it did; WD-40 spray is 50% mineral spirits (basically paint thinner), 25% mineral oil and 25% propellant. That is not what I would recommend for long term rust prevention. I had hoped that they might have included Ballistol as it is what I use mostly since finally finding a source to purchase it. I would also recommend selecting a product that refers to rust prevention on firearms. WD-40 does not even call itself a lubricant much less a superior rust preventative on long term storage. It is a cleaner and water displacment product which I buy and use but not for rust prevention.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:46 AM

Another test.

http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html