Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Corrosion (Rust!) >

Corrosion (Rust!)

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Corrosion (Rust!)

Old 01-26-2007, 11:24 AM

Default Corrosion (Rust!)

Is it just me or does anyone else have an issue with set screws, mounting screws, sight pins, e-clips and the like rusting? I think I'm going to fully disassemble my bow next week and teflon coat all those parts.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:35 AM

Default RE: Corrosion (Rust!)

I agree KodiakArcher. Seems to me that no matter how diligent a person is with keeping paraffin, molycote, etc. on the set screws, clips, etc, they still rust.

But, on a positive note, the set screws and mounting screws don't vibrate loose as easily.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:15 PM

Yeah, the screws don't bug me as bad as the sight pins.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:40 PM
Typical Buck

I used to get that also, and I am sure there are many others here who have and still do. I found a way to take care of the problem though. I work for a very large company and our division produces oil seals. Some of our seals and sleeves will become rusty while in the boxes if stored for long periods of time. Some of them require a moisture absorbing material called VCI material. It sucks up any moisture that gets in the box and totally prevents the formation of rust.We have it in different sizes from 1" x 1" chips up to 5 ft square sheets. A few years ago it hit me to put a few pieces in my bow case to see if it helps. Well, I haven't had a hint of rust ever since then. It is pretty cool stuff.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:05 PM
bigcountry

Yea, this one thing that bugs me too. I do hunt in rainy weather on occasion, and I know when I get back, get out some oil to rub on all exposed metal parts. Shouldn't be that way.

Old 01-26-2007, 08:11 PM
dws

You could replace your set screws with stainless steel setscrews from your local hardware. A little wd40 or gun oil wiped on metal will prevent rust on something that has never rusted before. Once something has rusted you have to remove it completely to stop it. You could try some extra fine steel wool soaked with oil to remove the rust if its not too bad on the other stuff, that usually won't do much to the finish. Some of the rusting could just be from the acids in your body. We have one guy at work that could leave rusted fingerprints on stainless steel if he didn't wipe oil on his hands every morning like it was hand lotion.