Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 CVA nickel barrel Corrosion? Help >

CVA nickel barrel Corrosion? Help

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA nickel barrel Corrosion? Help

Old 04-08-2009, 05:32 PM

Default CVA nickel barrel Corrosion? Help

I have several CVA’s with the nickel barrel and it seems like there is a little junk, pitting or rusting at the end of the barrel. I mostly use Blackhorn now but I did not notice this when using Triple Seven but I was more particular to get the gun cleaned right away. It seems like even after it is cleaned now some rust or brown junk shows up at the muzzle. It does not appear to affect accuracy and it is not in the barrel where the rifling starts. It is in the area of the false muzzle. It is not very smooth there. Has anyone else run into this or any idea on how to prevent? I thought I read somewhere to use Flitz? polish. My stainless barrels don’t do this. Thanks
Old 04-08-2009, 05:44 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: CVA nickel barrel Corrosion? Help

First off, it is a nickel barrel. A blued barrel with a fancy finish. I have a nickel Staghorn Magnum. My rifle developed a stain in the open breech area. I have tried a number of things to remove it, and while I have reduced it, it is still there.

Blackhorn 209 might have caused that, but really that false muzzle should be given special attention at cleaning time. All too often it is not scrubbed well because of the over size. I would try some sort of a cleaner like you mentioned. I never used the one you named but I have used others. Hope it comes clean for you.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:11 PM
Banned

You'll need to get some Flitz Polishing Compound. Do the entire rifle on the outside AND inside the barrel/Breech plug area. This will keep the staining off. Mine had some of that brown stuff to when i first bought it but the Flitz took it off. Cant guarantee that it will take yours off but it Will prevent any more from ruining the finish.

Dirty from a day at the range,

A simple Windex rag cleaned it right off,

What you may also have at the end of the barrel what looks to be rust/pitting is Carbon build up from BH209, ive seen a few TC Triump owners complaining about Pitting that turned out to be just carbon from that powder.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:22 PM

Thanks - where do you find Flitz?