Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Remington 700 Muzzleloader >

Remington 700 Muzzleloader

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Remington 700 Muzzleloader

Old 03-04-2006, 11:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Remington 700 Muzzleloader

Chasam60

I really could not afford to buy it, but I would offer to fix it for you FREE if I understand the problem correctly and I guess i wouldn't until I saw it.

Your problem does sound like the classic problem a Remington "Waker" trigger displays - but since you have a Timney I would have see it. Did you install the Timney yourself? If you did was it pretty much a bolt in process or did you have to do some modifications? If it was a bolt/screw in process - I would, and I am only guessing from all the fooling around I have done with my Rems both ML & CF, It really would not be a problem to fix.

PM - Roskoe on this site - he is a Remington genius - he may be able to walk you through the process - but since he is a certified gun smith liabilty may not allow him...

Old 03-04-2006, 11:13 AM
Typical Buck

I installed the Timney myself after the original trigger broke a piece inside.It was very simple,push out 2 pins,push in 2 pins.I shot it for about a year,and never adjusted it from factory setting. I was way back in the Adriondac Mts. when it failed during early MZ season. I went to pop a cap prior to loading,and it went off. The trigger will adj enough to engage the sear,but then it will not release.

Charlie
Old 03-04-2006, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do you mean the Timney isn't working correctly or is that how the original trigger failed?
Old 03-04-2006, 01:11 PM
Typical Buck

The original trigger broke a small "L" shaped piece inside. It broke through the screw hole. Rather than have it fixed,I bought the Timney.

Charlie
Old 03-04-2006, 01:32 PM

"Remington genius" ? [8D] I'm not really that smart. Remingtons have their little quirks, though. It is possible that the same issue that broke the "L" shaped piece in the original trigger is now causing the Timney to act up. There is a short pin that holds the cocking piece to the striker - it's inside the bolt shroud. Make sure this pin is still there and not sheared off. Roskoe.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:45 AM
Spike

I have a .54 Remington 700 and a TC Renegade .54 traditional, and have killed about an equal number of elk with each. The Remington is stainless and composite so it works well for the late November hunt. I use either TC Maxi-Ball or Powerbelts. We have to use an all lead bullet for muzzleloader hunts. I have used a Barnes MZ expander prior to the regulation change. Not that big of an issue to disassemble bolt for cleaning! Good gun.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:04 PM
Spike

This thread is an oldy... but it comes up in search results pretty high.. and it seems to lack the fix: Badger Ridge's sealed breech 209 conversion: http://www.badgerridgeind.com/store/p10/700ML_KIT

no kidding, this kit seals the breach, lets you use any black powder substitute (even blackhorn209). It just plain simple to use. No priming tools, no blown up primers and crap going all over the shooter. No more burnt scopes, and No more tearing down the bolt, and my rifle goes bang every time!

Old 04-24-2017, 07:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

And a new system is available too and wont ever need a vent liner.

Smokelessmz aka ArrrowHead Sporting Goods has them.