Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Remington 700 Muzzleloader >

Remington 700 Muzzleloader

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Remington 700 Muzzleloader

Old 03-03-2006, 07:12 AM

Default Remington 700 Muzzleloader

I have a chance to buy a Remington 700 Muzzleloader, stainless barrel and black synthetic stock.

What has your experience been with this rifle ?

Any help will be appreciated.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Remington 700 Muzzleloader

idaho-bill

I own and shoot two of them in 50 cal., and I would trade or sell them for the world. So if the price were right and the gun is good i would get one. They do have their little problems and it is all related to blow-back into the bolt area - so you do have to clean the interior of the bolt as a part of yout cleaning regiment. The second thing the Remington 209 conversion is in my opinion not the best conversion - it gets really dirty and most times difficult to get the spent 209 out if you are using 209. But here in Idaho the only time you would be able to use a 209 is during regular rifle season.

They are accurate and will shoot about any combination of sabot/bullet you want to put down the barrel. The barrels are usually tight so you have to use the thinner sabots like the sabots designed for TC or MMP-HPH 24's.

I am in northern Idaho and I did use my Rem's during the regular rifle season for elk and deer (I just bought a new Omega so that will replace the 26" SS Rem for Elk season, but I will still use the 24" Rem for whitetails). When we get to our regular ML season I do switch to a side hammer. For elk I am shooting a .458 (45-70) 300 grain Nosler Partition in am MMP HPH .458 Orange sabot. It really is accurate and does pack a thump down range.

Any other questions - give a shout....

Old 03-03-2006, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

In addition to what Sabotloader said, you will definitelly need to protect your scope from ignition flash. My example was an early blued .50 caliber but was a very accurate rifle with a load of 90 grains of Pyro P and 400 grain PR Bullet Ultimate 1 conicals. The bolt cleaning can be a pain as it isn't exactly a quickly disassembled bolt.

You might check Kittery Trading Post's used guns section for price comparison on used rifles.

Old 03-03-2006, 10:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

UC

In replying to UC's concern and he is correct especially shooting 209's it is not near as bad when shooting #11's - but I fashioned a weather shroud from 20 gauge shot gun shells..

Here is a pic of a copper one for a A&H and a plastic one for Remingtons...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/sabotloader/Wshouds2.jpg

Old 03-03-2006, 01:31 PM
Fork Horn

sabotloader: I'm not real familiar with the Rem. ML, but does that weather shroud have to be manually plucked out the way to remove the spent primer, or does it come back with the bolt? Seems like that would really add to reloading time if it has to be removed and then replaced each time.

jaybe
Old 03-03-2006, 02:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

jaybe

It is attached to the bolt... it pulls back out of the way with the bolt.

Old 03-04-2006, 12:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Accurate and reliable. Like said the bolt needs to disassembled for cleaning, the major issue or flaw if you will. Also the rem made 209 ignition is tempermental, so if equipped buy yourself a cabelas 209 conversion kit and never look back. Mine is equipped with this 209 and have not experienced one problem.

On range I fashioned a scope cover out of a old neoprene glove to protect the scope's bottom. In the field I don't worry b/cI haven't required a second shot, any residue left is easily wiped away IME.

Old 03-04-2006, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought my first Remington 700 ML 54 cal in 2002. I love it and wouldn't trade it for any thing new on the market today and would never think of trading it for what Remington is about to release.
Yes the bolt needs to be cleaned very well after a shooting sestion, a small vice with amounted onmy reloading bench provides a hook to disassembly the bolt. A small metal pieace could work just as well. I never lube the bolt with oil only Remington dry lube.
To protect the scope from the blow by, I use a bit of 3M clear duck tape. I am planing on makeing a sheild like sabotloaders with a 1/4 vent hole to see how that does protecting the scope and letting the area vent. The factory shroud has a small hole I think about 1/16

I had a # 11 caps non fireing issues so I did switch to the Cabales 209 Kit, the best kit of the two on the market. I also found latter that same lot of caps didn't work very well with my T/C side hammer Plains rifle or Hawkins.

I like my 54 so well I wanted a 50 cal. I shopped a lot of gun shops and on the net for one. I found the used gun price for them was running in the $250 range on average. I bought a SS 50 with the #11 cap ig. and a bushnell 1.5 to 5 scope for $225. I like itjust as well as the 54 cal. I have found it don't like 80 gr trip 7 with MMP sabots and .430 hornaday HP XTP's so far.

Your going to have people tell you, you can buy a new ML riflefor this kind of money BUT they won't be a Remingtons either.

Al
Old 03-04-2006, 09:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

idaho-billand All Others

One of the percieved problems with the Remington is the cleaning of the bolt. IMO it really is less difficult than the manual would lead you to believe. If you pruchase the Remington bolt disassembly tool you can extract the spring and pin assemblt from the bolt housing with very little effort while sitting in you easy chair. From there it is a normal cleaning process...re-assembly is just as easy.

http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/axx_tools.htm

Old 03-04-2006, 10:46 AM
Typical Buck

Sabot loader-Do you want to buy mine? .50 cal blue/black,Cabela's 209 conversion.TC click adj fiberoptic sights,Timney trigger.Weaver medium bases. Shoots inside 1 inch at 100 yds with XTP .44/240. Only one small problem. It will not cock with the safe off,and when you release the safe-IT FIRES. I hung it up and bought an Omega. Local gunsmith says the bolt is worn and will not engage the trigger sear.Maybe someday I will get it fixed.No way I can get near the $$$'s I have invested.

Charlie

Quick Reply: Remington 700 Muzzleloader

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.