Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Remington Genesis Muzzleloader >

Remington Genesis Muzzleloader

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Remington Genesis Muzzleloader

Old 11-17-2008, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Remington Genesis Muzzleloader

I'm seriously considering purchasing a Remington Genesis Muzzleloader very soon. I was wondering if there's anyone here that owns one or has had any experience with one. I read somewhere that some people were concerned about the TorchCam Breech Block action possibly contacting a scope when it's swung open. But according to a few videos I've watched and some pictures, it doesn't look like that would be an issue.

So basically, I'm looking for some testimonials or comments on this particular weapon before I buy one. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-17-2008, 07:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Remington Genesis Muzzleloader

SWThomas

Their are 3 or 4 people with here - hold on they will get to this - they seem awful happy with them so far....
Old 11-17-2008, 07:56 PM
Dominant Buck

The Remington Genesis has been a real surprising rifle to own. I purchased the stainless steel model. It has a 28 inch barrel and is a true magnum rifle if it wants to be.

Traditions Firearms sells a base and mount combination for the rifle. Get the high mounts. The cam action clears it perfect, and because of the stock design it fits me like a glove.

This was a fluke. I seldom shoot a group this tight with a 1x scope at this distance, but it is an indication of what the rifle is able to do. 100 grains of Pyrodex P is a good strong load that would take on most any animal in north America.

The rifle is very well balanced. It is easy to clean. The one thing I will warn you is, when you take it apart, pay attention. There are three Allen head bolts that hold the barrel and the forearm on and its how you take the rifle apart. Pay attention to those bolts and where they go. If you make a mistake, you might think you have stripped out one of the bolts. They all have a set place and that place only. I have them marked.

Some Genesis owners report blow back through the cam on the bottom of the scope. Mine does not seem to suffer from this. But I have been wrapping the breech plug the way Sabotloader showed us, and it seems to make a big difference in fowling.

My rifle is well balanced, a great trigger, and a great shooter. It is not an Omega, or Triumph, but it is a very well made gun and I do enjoy shooting it. I am looking forward to our muzzle loading season. My longest shot will be 50 yards. With this new Speer bullet I have been shooting, I have little doubt of penetration, expansion and pass through on them..
Old 11-17-2008, 08:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

I went into Cabela's about 2 weeks ago and saw them there (after reading the posts in here on them) and picked one up for $135 + a $35 mail in rebate. Total $100. Put a Nikon 3-9X Prostaff with BDC on it and already have it shooting almost MOA. My only concern was the blowback I am getting at the breach/barrel interface. I called Remington and this seems to be common (as long as it isn't too sever). This causes a fouling buildup on the underside of the scope. A wrap of electrical tape around the scope makes it easy to wipe off. One of the members (Cayugad) suggested wrapping teflon tape on the breach plug slightly overlaping the front of the breach plug and greasing. Apparently he is not getting this blowback. I haven't fired it since this was suggested.
Here is my last outing with it looking for the best load combo. Looks like 100 gr of Pyrodex P and 300 gr XTP (upper left group - #4)

Old 11-17-2008, 10:38 PM
Fork Horn

As everyone has said for the money you cant beat it.Very accurate for me and well balanced for carrying make it perfect for me.I would buy it again! Mike
Old 11-18-2008, 05:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the input fellas! I think I've made my decision.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Which one are you going to get?

Vince
Old 11-18-2008, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought the blue/black model for 100 including the rebate. I figured I could not go wrong, even if I didn't like the gun I could sell it for 100. I won't be selling it though. I don't like the ramrod and will be getting a custom rod.

I'm shooting Hornady FPBs over 100 gr Pyrodex RS and T7 209 primers. Shoots about 1" groups at 50 yds.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SuperKirby

Which one are you going to get?

Vince
Just the basic black one with the blued barrel.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:41 AM
Dominant Buck

In Wisconsin we have counties that are shotgun only in the modern season. No rifles, but muzzleloaders are legal. A scoped muzzleloader is a long range weapon compared to most shotguns. Of course I have a friend that scoped his Winchester pump shotgun (but has a Hastings barrel) and it's amazing how accurate that scoped slug gun really is.

I am sure that the rifle you picked will be a great rifle and a good shooter. Are you going to mount a scope on it? I threw a 1x on mine because of our laws, but I thought about a 2-7x32mm and then it would be for modern season as well..

Quick Reply: Remington Genesis Muzzleloader

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.