Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Muzzleloader for beginner? >

Muzzleloader for beginner?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Muzzleloader for beginner?

Old 02-25-2006, 09:18 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Muzzleloader for beginner?

Those soft extruded Spanish barrels bulge faster than T/Cs, Whites, Savages & Knights.
As far as getting bulges in the barrel, I hope it will never happen to me. I've seen them in shotgun barrel before and it doesn't look pretty.

plus the manufacturers I listed abovehave better accuracy usingmagnum powder charges & monster bullets - plus better resale value.
I don't think I'm gonna need a bullet bigger than 250gr and loads more than 100gr pushing it for whitetails or do I?

I own three Spanish guns. Want to buy them?
Should of ask me that question before I bought mine. I wouldof been interested in them.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:31 AM
Dominant Buck

Make sure you read the owner's manual and follow the loadrecommendations. That goes for anyone and any rifle you purchase, not just a BPI product. Also there are load recommendations on the powders you buy. Hodgdon's for instance does not recommend more then 100 grains of pellet/powder.

There have been a lot of controversy over the Spanish Barrels. You can take it for what it is worth. You can read the warnings of the BPI barrels and stay away from them or you can make your own decision, as you did and purchase one. I own a CVA Staghorn and never shoot over 100 grains of Goex 2f and a 300 grains sabot. It shoots excellent, but I do not push it to magnum abilities.

Good luck with your rifle.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:32 PM
Typical Buck

I am a news junky and I have never heard a news report about people being hurt with a Spanish gun. Actually I have never read a story of anyone being hurt by any m/l. That actually surprises me some what with all the things that can go wrong with them.

The only incidents that I know of is one guy in Bristol NH back in the 70's loading his m/l up with smokeless powder and the alleged incidences I have read on the internet.

So shoot your rifle following the loading guide lines and have fun!!! It will be in business long after you are gone if it is cared for and shot right.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

Those soft extruded Spanish barrels bulge faster than T/Cs, Whites, Savages & Knights.

Am I to take this to mean all barrels should bulge with use, only the Spanish barrels do so faster?

I own three Spanish guns. Want to buy them?
You keep saying that. But you never say what you'lllet them go for. If they are all in good order, I'll give 5 bucks a piece for them and pay the shipping. I can get some people started with them on loads which are comfortable in them. So then you can get them out of your hair and quit asking if anyone wants to buy them.

Happy Hunting, Phil
Old 03-03-2006, 07:06 PM

Hope you enjoy the CVA like it has been stated in
earlier replys, read that OWNERS MANUAL and make
sure you are very very familiar with powder types
and loads. Have fun good shooting God Bless
Danny
Old 03-03-2006, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

What does this mean Triple se7en? All barrels bulge and spanish barrels do it faster?

What exactly is the hardness of a "soft" Spanish barrel? And what are the hardness of the T/C's, Whites, Savages, and Knights?

Happy Hunting, Phil
Old 03-03-2006, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Wolf651

As far as getting bulges in the barrel, I hope it will never happen to me.
It won't, provided you don't charge "max charges" and load"monster bullets"

I don't think I'm gonna need a bullet bigger than 250gr and loads more than 100gr pushing it for whitetails or do I?
That's plenty of powder. You can load that gun (using less powder)with loads which yield 1/3 the pressure of "max charge", "monster bullet" loads, which are capable of taking dangerous game like grizzly and buffalo.

Be sensible with your new rifle. If you do,you won't have any bulged barrels and you will kill your whitetails just as dead as anyone with a T/C, Knight, or White.

Good Luck, Phil