Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Muzzleloader for beginner? >

Muzzleloader for beginner?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Muzzleloader for beginner?

Old 02-20-2006, 08:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default Muzzleloader for beginner?

I've been thinking about buying one for this year whitetail deer hunt. I've thinking ofa 50 cal. muzzleloader but don't know what brand/ model to get. I've used rifles and shotgun but I need something a little more challenging, like muzzleloading guns. I think it's a little more challenging because you have to load yourrounds into the gun and you have to alway make that one shot count.So how bout it guys let me know what you've used, whichbrand/ model/ cal.you would prefer a beginner to start and what is the best you've used and why? I'm only going to spend around $250.00 or less.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:49 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Muzzleloader for beginner?

Do you want a traditional rifle or inline? Alsoare scopes allowed. There are some excellent deals on Knight Rifles right now which is a great rifle.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:56 PM

I have a new .50 cal.Knight Disc Elite blued and extrasfor sale in the Guns classified section. I think it is on page three. $235.00 shipped depending on location. Check out the add and let me know by email. I got it for christmas and dont need it. I have a link to an article there that gives you an idea of how accurate the elite can be and how well made it is. Here is the link tomy addhttp://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1405110
Old 02-21-2006, 06:36 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Do you want a traditional rifle or inline? Alsoare scopes allowed. There are some excellent deals on Knight Rifles right now which is a great rifle.
I want an in-line muzzleloader. We can't use scope during the muzzleloader season.

ORIGINAL: AmericanPioneer

I have a new .50 cal.Knight Disc Elite blued and extrasfor sale in the Guns classified section. I think it is on page three. $235.00 shipped depending on location. Check out the add and let me know by email. I got it for christmas and dont need it. I have a link to an article there that gives you an idea of how accurate the elite can be and how well made it is. Here is the link tomy addhttp://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1405110
Americanpioneer, Thanks for the offer but looking for one that has open sight. As stated above we can't use scope during the muzzleloader season. I've heard about the knight rifle and might check them out.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:25 AM
Dominant Buck

You might want to look at a NEF Sidekick in .50 caliber. It is made by New England Firearms which is also H&R or Marlin rifle company. They are a break open action that makes them easy to clean. They are known for their out of the box accuracy. Their one downfall is the expandable ramrod from what I have read. Get a range rod and leave the expandable for hunting only.

You can find them at Cabela's for around $169.00 that would leave you some money for the extras that you will need. And it is all the rifle you would ever need. They have fiber optic sights and can be purchased in stainless steel even, if you wish. This is what I would look at. With your budget you would be able to purchase a quality rifle and have some left over for all the other things you're going to need. The Knight rifle I mentioned does not have sights and is actually meant to be scoped.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is a pretty good deal on an Omega: http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000318898

$264
Old 02-24-2006, 08:20 PM
Fork Horn

I made a decision to purchase a CVA kodiak .50 cal. It should be here sometime next week. I know this is a new gun that came out with the pivot block action. Anybody know the goods and bads of this gun and if you use or have this gun what load and ammos is best for it?
Old 02-24-2006, 09:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Wolf651

I made a decision to purchase a CVA kodiak .50 cal. It should be here sometime next week. I know this is a new gun that came out with the pivot block action. Anybody know the goods and bads of this gun and if you use or have this gun what load and ammos is best for it?
You are supposed to ask the pros & cons of MLs BEFORE you purchase them.

That rifle likes bullets around 250-300 grains. Try the 300 gr. Hornady XTPs & 250 grain T/C Shockwaves.
Old 02-25-2006, 06:47 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

You are supposed to ask the pros & cons of MLs BEFORE you purchase them.

That rifle likes bullets around 250-300 grains. Try the 300 gr. Hornady XTPs & 250 grain T/C Shockwaves.
I know I should of ask before purchasing it but I guess there is thier ups and downs on everything. I just like the gun so much becauseof it's pivot-action block. I haven't seen one like that before and want something different, plus i save about $40. What about the Hornady sst 250gr.?
Old 02-25-2006, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know I should of ask before purchasing it but I guess there is thier ups and downs on everything. I just like the gun so much becauseof it's pivot-action block. I haven't seen one like that before and want something different, plus i save about $40. What about the Hornady sst 250gr.?
The Hornady SST is basically the same bullet as the Shockwave, but mosthave found themmore difficult to load due to plastic sabot differences.

Your savings of $40 is nothing - should you somedayfractionally short-seat your bullet in that CVA. Those soft extruded Spanish barrels bulge faster than T/Cs, Whites, Savages & Knights. Also, the full lifetime warranties on T/Cs and Knights are tops in the firearms industry - plus the manufacturers I listed abovehave better accuracy usingmagnum powder charges & monster bullets - plus better resale value.

I own three Spanish guns. Want to buy them?

Quick Reply: Muzzleloader for beginner?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.