Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Optima ??

Old 02-14-2006, 07:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default Optima ??

Anybody out there own or shoot the Optima by CVA. Looking for a new muzzleloader and not sure where I want to go this time. I have had 54cal. and 50cal.,think I might want 45cal. I want something accurate out 100++ yards also camo stock with blued barrel and easy to clean.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Optima ??

Most ML supplies/components are in 50-cal.

50-cal MLs can shoot any size sabot/bullet that a 45-cal shoots.

My choices forinline brand names are Knight, Austin-Halleck, Thompson Center, Savage,custom Whites andNew England Firearms. I won't shoulder anything else.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

rcgerchow

Might take a look here - I am just getting into "the new modern inline world" I am still in the bolt action inline, but if these are legal in your state - I'm thinking the Omega might be the gun to have - easy to shoot easy to clean. Mine is coming next week so I really can tell you the pros and cons... unless you want to talk about older inlines or side hammers - but seriously - I think this is a quality gun..

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000318921

Old 02-14-2006, 07:36 PM

I have a CVA Beartooth Magnum in 45cal. It is ok
if you've heard all the horror stories, about the
Spanish-made barrels. Mine shoots powerbelts like
they were on a rope. But doesn't seem to like any
other bullets. I took a nice buck last year with it.
No blood trail, & I don't like that. If I were you
I'd look for some of the sales on the T/C Omega's.
Just my 2-cents.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:39 PM
Fork Horn

A friend of mine just bought the omega, hasn't shot it yet, I was looking over the posts about barrel problems (washboard) and kinda moved right past the omega. Seems the long range shooting is being done with 45 cal. and that was the reasoning for 45 cal. I shoot a 50 cal, in-line now and it's marginal out to 100yds. using pyrodex pellets. I was thinking of not using a slug gun during firearm season in zone 3 but a muzzleloader instead. I am a decent enough shot that I usually only need one shot to take an animal down. I quite often hunt with a Ruger #1 in the U.P..
Old 02-15-2006, 06:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

rcgerchow

Sharing some thoughts...

A friend of mine just bought the omega, hasn't shot it yet, I was looking over the posts about barrel problems (washboard) and kinda moved right past the omega.
I would really like to think that the "washboard" barrel is the norm. On other boards the Omega is thought of very highly. Another thing to consider is the Encore barrel and the Omega barrel are the same barrels.

Seems the long range shooting is being done with 45 cal. and that was the reasoning for 45 cal. I shoot a 50 cal, in-line now and it's marginal out to 100yds
Long range shooting is being done with the 45 cal, usually the claims of great accuracy center around the 10mm (40 cal) 200 grain SST/Shockwave. This is an extremly accurate bullet with great ballistics, but that same bullet can be shot from a 50 cal with the same accuracy, anyway I was impressed with it last weekend.

100 grains of Pyro, probably is not the best powder charge for a 200 yard shot for most ML projectiles. Do not get me wrong it will work and it can be accurate but a bullet propelled by 100 grains of equivalent BP @ 200 yards can have a lot of varibles react on it on its way to the target. The biggest effect on that bullet is probably cross-winds and shooting 200 yards you are allowing those cross winds to be even a bigger effect on the bullet.

I would echo who ever offered the thought that what you can do with a 45 you can do with a 50. But if I already had a couple of 50's I to would be tempted to get a 45, fortunately for me the State of Idaho has solved that problem for me, they are not legal for big game hunting.

Good luck in your search, but I really believe you would be happier with the Omega the Optima - EXCEPT the Optima gives you the ability to have different barrels.

I am shooting 100 grains of loose t7 in a 50 cal, which could be equivelent to 115 grains of Pyro/BP. I am quite confident to 150 yards, but at 200 the conditions would need to be near perfect.

really, just my 2 cents and probably worth about that much...

Old 02-15-2006, 08:23 PM

Ihave a 50cal optima that i got for chritmas and it shoots very well. Over lapping 3 shot groups at 50 yrds with 370 grain maxiballs and .75" 3 shot groups at 50 yrds with 240 grain xtp both over 100 grain pyrodex pellets with open sights. Over all i am very happy with it but since it is my first ML i don't have a lot to compare it too.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:56 AM
Fork Horn

Sabot- thanks for the info, really was looking for accuracy out to about 150yds. Not many places I could shoot the 200yd.range. Some of the cornfields we hunt you need to be accurate from 110-150 yds. I am also looking to hunt out of state during some muzzleloading seasons, again hunting in field situations.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:31 AM
Fork Horn

rcgerchow,

I have the Optima 209 in 50 cal Synthetic stock and Nickle barrel. I shoot 245 gr Aerotipped Powerbelts with 100 grs of 777. I have mine sighted in at 1.5" high at 100 and I have three shot groups at 150 that you can cover with a half dollar. I would not hesitate to let on fly at a deer at 200.