Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

777 Loose Powder

Old 02-01-2006, 11:07 AM

Default 777 Loose Powder

Still a little confused on the FFG and FFFG. I'm gona get some to shoot out of my Encore 209x50. I see people shooting in lines saying they shoot both.Maybe I'm confused.I only want to shoot one. I want to get the most bang for my buck since that stuff is a bit more in price. I need some advice from some of you guys that shoot loose powder on a consistant basis. I've seen the 777 loose powder containers and one had a silver ring on top and the other had a kind of gold ring, where it says sulpher free. Which should I be using 2F or 3F. Hope that helps explain what I'm asking
Old 02-01-2006, 11:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 777 Loose Powder

txfireman

Not quite sure what the question is... Are you asking which can you get the most loads from?

I use both the 2f with a gold label anf 3f with the Silver label. I use the 2f in my inlines and 3f in the sidehamers. The general rule has been to reduce your 3f load approx. 10% from the 2f load. That is the general rule, but it is really going to depend on the gun you are shooting. The most significant difference can be shown with barrel length. In my 24" Remington I can produce about 200 fps more with a 100 grains of 3f than I can with a 100 grains of 2f. In the 26" Rem and A&H I see less difference. In the 28" side hammers there is virtually no difference in velocity of 80 grains of 3f vs. 80 grains of 2f, BUT I do notice a sharper recoil with the 3f. I can not say that I notice that in the inlines with the recoil pads that are on the guns.

Again the gerneral rule being 3f reaches peak sooner and burns out sooner. It also may generate a higher peak than 2f depending on how you are igniting it and how much energy is required to start you projectile moving. 2f takes a greater timeto peak and burns longer and as with 3f peak temperature and pressurewill depend on the amount of energy necessary to start the projectile and the energy needed to get it out the barrel.

Just my random operating thoughts....
Old 02-01-2006, 12:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you consider the old defination, 3F is for Pistols and rifles up to and including 45 caliberbeyond that it has always been used for short barrels and plinking. Two F is for rifles of 50Cal and up and for getting accuracy with heavy loads. Personally I use 3F in my pistols and 45 cal Hawken. For hunting I have always use a big cal. and a heavy[120 to 150gr FF] load to get the caliber & volicty combination that gives hydrostatic shock. Lee
Old 02-01-2006, 03:21 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: txfireman

Still a little confused on the FFG and FFFG. I'm gona get some to shoot out of my Encore 209x50. I see people shooting in lines saying they shoot both.Maybe I'm confused.I only want to shoot one. I want to get the most bang for my buck since that stuff is a bit more in price. I need some advice from some of you guys that shoot loose powder on a consistant basis. I've seen the 777 loose powder containers and one had a silver ring on top and the other had a kind of gold ring, where it says sulpher free. Which should I be using 2F or 3F. Hope that helps explain what I'm asking
In Triple Se7en powders I used only the 2f because I have never found the 3f in the stores. When I do I will try a pound or two but I get excellent results from the 2f in all my rifles.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:24 PM
Fork Horn

As for your question of bang for the buck,you should be able to use abouy 10% less fff than ff to get the same velocity (ususly see more advantage with lighter bullets and shorter barrels).