Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Question on Musket Caps >

Question on Musket Caps

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Question on Musket Caps

Old 01-13-2006, 03:58 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Question on Musket Caps

After thousands of rounds shot off ontraditional and inline rifles, I used a lot of different caps. I think the RWS Dynamite Noble 1075 are the best on the market followed by the CCI magnum caps. I have a musket nipple and musket caps at the house but have used them only on rare occasion testing some loads with an inline rifle.

Years ago the one cap to STAY AWAY from were the Remington Caps. But it is my understanding they have improved them since. I use them when there are no other caps around.

The one thing I did hear about when going to musket caps is they can cause stress on the hammer springs. Whether this is true, I could not say from practical experience. If Thompson Center feels there is no problem doing it with their rifles then I would not worry so much. Also musket caps tend to fall off more then any other cap or primer.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

To All

Cold, big fingers shouldn't be a problem use a capper takes the cap out of your fingers - the cappers are so easy to use and there are a ton of different ones out there.

Pglasgow address for caps

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000622105209

Old 01-13-2006, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

i converted my thompson center new englander years ago to musket caps. i think there is way more flame and the musket caps are easier to handle. i would call thompson center for the replacement nipple part number. with pyrodex i feel lock up is faster but find it no more reliable than a good ole #11 cap. . if your looking to try something new give it a try. i have never herd of a 209 primer conversion for a caplock.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

i never heard of musket caps falling off easier. my musket caps have petal slots in them that you can give a slight sqeeze and they form fit nice and tight to the shape of the musket cap. its a nice set up!
Old 01-13-2006, 06:22 PM
Dominant Buck

that's probably true liquidorange.. I have only played with them on the range and never hunted with them. I also never took the time to squeeze then closed onto the nipple. In fact I load them from a straight line capper and leave it at that.

I am impressed with the amount of flame they do put out. I have some CCI musket caps and they really pop when I shoot them in the Black Diamond.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

liquidorange

It is my feeling that musket caps do not fit the nipple as tight as #11's but that problem is easily taken care by squeezing the wings just a little.

Again the handling proble seems to be the prime mover here but I guess I do not understand why you are handling them in the first place. In a capper they are stored and ready for use - you just push the cap down on the nipple with the capper and pull it away. I would have diffiuculty handling any of them duringthe hunting season - #11's, Musket, or 209's - heck half the time I have gloves on.

Old 01-13-2006, 06:32 PM

I use musket caps exclusively in both of my Black Diamonds. Easier to handle, and I could swear I read somewhere awhile back that they provided a whole bunch more flame than any #11 cap. I machined a little groove in the nipple and then pinch the petals a little with my fingers to get a tight fit. With heavier charges they open up like a fan blade and literally fall off when I re-cock the striker.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Roskoe

I could swear I read somewhere awhile back that they provided a whole bunch more flame than any #11 cap.
I agree you read that all over because iniatially they did provide a heck of a lot more heat than a #11. But with the advent of the #11 Magnum cap that gap is really reduced. The 1075 plus probably breeches that gap.

I did e-mail CCI tech people just to ask that very question, I really wish I had kept a copy, I honestly do not know who replied, heck it could have been a receptionist, but the indication was the creation of the #11 magnum cap was to reduce the gap of power and heat between the two caps.

Someone once mention about conducting sometests - shooting #11 mags and musket caps into sawdust to see which one created the greatest disturbance to the sawdust - they concluded the #11 Mag won. I realize this is a backyard test and I could add my own experiance with a TC Hawkin and trying to shoot at 20 below zero. The gun had been out all day - had not shot it until we got back to the vehicle - touched the musket cap off - it went bang but the gun didn't - it was really cold. Installed a #11 nipple - appled the cap *bang-instant boom it could have been just a coincident but made me a believer...

I use musket caps exclusively in both of my Black Diamonds. Easier to handle,
I am not trying to be a smart alleck (sp) but how do you "Handle" the musket caps in the field? Do you mean in between your fingers and place it on the nipple stem?

Old 01-13-2006, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

My Tedd Cash capper fits over 75 caps and is very nice to have. I it would be nice to go to musket caps. I just dont want to get a new wrench and nipple. Some day I might try them. I think a good #11 is enough.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:00 PM
Fork Horn

I used to own a Knight T-bolt 50 cal. The rifle came with nipples for #11 and musket caps. I used 100 gr. of loose Pyro RS and 240 gr. Hornady XTP sabots. I couldn't get acceptable groups with the musket caps, the # 11 caps shot nice tight groups. Both caps were RWS. A side from that I never had ignition problems with either cap.

Quick Reply: Question on Musket Caps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.