Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 looking at new ml tradition or cva >

looking at new ml tradition or cva

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

looking at new ml tradition or cva

Old 01-08-2006, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: looking at new ml tradition or cva

ORIGINAL: Pglasgow

Lemoyne wrote:

"I have to agree with Triple Se7en,especally sice I just pick up a Omega at walmart on sale for the same price range. I had a bad experance with a low priced spanish barrol when they first started selling them here found out later it was not even proof tested."

I may be wrong, but, i don't think any American muzzleloader is "proof tested" in as much as each and every barrel is test to some minimum pressure. I own a Pursuit and it shoots well. It has a stamp on it indicating its pressure rating or something like that. Approximately 10,000 psi.

If a person plans todrop 3 50gr Pyrodex pelletsfollowed by a 300 grain saboted round, I would take pause and reconsider. I recently acquired a sidekick just to increase my margin of safety when using very heavy conicals. But I think there is alot of huntingone can do with the Spanish barrels and still keepthe pressures under that rating.

Just be reasonable inones expectations. The major controversy isn't whether thebarrels are good or safe. It is whether extruded barrels should be recommended for use with 150 gr. charges. Pressures with these charges can more than double the rating stamped on the barrel.

In my Pursuit, I am keeping the charges80 grainsor lessfor projectiles300 grainsto 400 grainsin weight and charges of90 grains or less for projectiles below 300 grains. Even so, one must still use common sense. Tight, difficult seating projectiles are going to run higher pressures. Projectiles not adequately seated are going to run higher pressures.

These recommendations are not scientific nor have Iactually measured any pressures for them,so I will not be responsible if any using a Pursuit like mine is injured using the guidelines I operate my Pursuit with. They are well under the manufacturers recommendations and i "feel" safe operating my Pursuit there. But a muzzleloader is only as safe as the man operating it. Only he has the ability to loadand operate it safely.

Pglasgow

T/Cs,Savage& Knights are tested beyond 25K psi.

Your rating of 10K is very minimal.

BTW.... I own three Traditions MLs. Want to buy em'?

Old 01-09-2006, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: looking at new ml tradition or cva

Triple Seven wrote:

T/Cs,Savage& Knights are tested beyond 25K psi.

Your rating of 10K is very minimal.

Am I to take that to mean that _A_ or a _FEW_ of them have been tested beyond 25K _OR_ that each and every barrel is PROOFED beyond 25K psi?

10 K is minimal. But then I was not encouraging anyone to load their gun with 150 grain charges and 450 conicals. I was only sayingone doesn't have to throw his gun away ifone will limit the loads.

Oh and BTW. I would buy all three of your traditions if the price is right. Sorry, but you won't get your money back out of 'em [:@]

Happy Hunting, Phil