HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   looking at new ml tradition or cva (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/127990-looking-new-ml-tradition-cva.html)

red truck 01-07-2006 08:16 AM

looking at new ml tradition or cva

hard choice betaeen tradition pursuit pro or cva kodiak, .50 cal with syntatic stock and nickel barrel.need pro and cons on both to help my choice, any help thanks

bradisthebest 01-07-2006 08:32 PM

RE: looking at new ml tradition or cva

Go with the CVA Kodiak you will be much happier with it then the Traditions. The Cva shoots more accurately and i have found that they last longer then the Traditions.

cayugad 01-07-2006 08:59 PM

If those are my two choices.. I guess I would base my selection on price, triggers, customer service reputation and how they balance when pulled. They both have basically the same barrels. And are basically aboutthe same rifles.

SST777 01-08-2006 06:40 AM

I Would go with the tradition pursuit pro it has a break-open action and a fluted barrel and is very accurate as for the cva kodiak I don't like the pivot block action

Finaddict 01-08-2006 06:51 AM

Hey red truck I own a CVA Kodiak with a blue barrel and the camo stock. I love it and it is very accurate. I have been shooting this rifle for about 1 1/2 years and like it very much. It is easy to clean and light enough to carry through the woods. Here in CO during muzzleloading season we can only use open sights and conical bullets over loose powder. I've found that using a 370 gr. T/C Maxiball over 85gr. Pyrodex P with a Remington Kleenbore 209 primer is a very accurate load out to 100 yds. or so. Maybe longer if I can find a spot to get a longer range shot.

Anyhow hope this helps. And good luck on whichever rifle you choose. Enjoy.

Triple Se7en 01-08-2006 07:05 AM

I am not a fan of any Spanish barrel ML. If you make a mistake loading them, they come unglued easier than the T/Cs, Knights, Savages, NEFs...etc.

Look at the American-made/American steel NEF Sidekicks at Bass Pro or Cabelas. You can get wood/blued for around $159 -- the all-dressed up version for around $100 more. Another favorite around here is the T/C Omega for around $289 at select spots on the world-wide web & possibly stores near you.

lemoyne 01-08-2006 09:29 AM

I have to agree with Triple Se7en,especally sice I just pick up a Omega at walmart on sale for the same price range. I had a bad experance with a low priced spanish barrol when they first started selling them here found out later it was not even proof tested.

red truck 01-08-2006 06:28 PM

thanks for input. went to gun shop today andchecked out few defferient brands and styles, to me i thinck its going to optima pro shouldered and felt good, good ballence and good price tag.any body with info on optima pro what load is working good, im looking at hornady sst 300grs sabots and loose 777. thanks alot;

jamiebuck 01-08-2006 06:41 PM

the cva kodiak is a awsome gun , i know people talk about the barrel not being tested but i would put my gun up to any M/L NOT TO BE RUDE BUT THATS HOW I FEEL ABOUT THE GUN, THIS IS THE GUN YOU WANT

Pglasgow 01-08-2006 07:28 PM

Lemoyne wrote:

"I have to agree with Triple Se7en,especally sice I just pick up a Omega at walmart on sale for the same price range. I had a bad experance with a low priced spanish barrol when they first started selling them here found out later it was not even proof tested."

I may be wrong, but, i don't think any American muzzleloader is "proof tested" in as much as each and every barrel is test to some minimum pressure. I own a Pursuit and it shoots well. It has a stamp on it indicating its pressure rating or something like that. Approximately 10,000 psi.

If a person plans todrop 3 50gr Pyrodex pelletsfollowed by a 300 grain saboted round, I would take pause and reconsider. I recently acquired a sidekick just to increase my margin of safety when using very heavy conicals. But I think there is alot of huntingone can do with the Spanish barrels and still keepthe pressures under that rating.

Just be reasonable inones expectations. The major controversy isn't whether thebarrels are good or safe. It is whether extruded barrels should be recommended for use with 150 gr. charges. Pressures with these charges can more than double the rating stamped on the barrel.

In my Pursuit, I am keeping the charges80 grainsor lessfor projectiles300 grainsto 400 grainsin weight and charges of90 grains or less for projectiles below 300 grains. Even so, one must still use common sense. Tight, difficult seating projectiles are going to run higher pressures. Projectiles not adequately seated are going to run higher pressures.

These recommendations are not scientific nor have Iactually measured any pressures for them,so I will not be responsible if any using a Pursuit like mine is injured using the guidelines I operate my Pursuit with. They are well under the manufacturers recommendations and i "feel" safe operating my Pursuit there. But a muzzleloader is only as safe as the man operating it. Only he has the ability to loadand operate it safely.

Happy Hunting, Phil