Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

777 vs. pyrodex

Old 12-12-2005, 10:41 AM

Default 777 vs. pyrodex

all i have ever used in my rifles was 2f pyrodex, but yesterday i picked up a can of triple seven on clearence at walmart. will there be a dramatic difference in the loads or do these to BP substitutes burn about the same?

thanks,
James
Old 12-12-2005, 11:01 AM

Default RE: 777 vs. pyrodex

They burn really different! Watch your p.o.i. when you make the change. T7 is probably the strongest stuff on the market, it burns really fast. I've heard it burns so fast, some of the hevier conicals skip the rifling when fired, or some amo like powerbelts shatter on impact when loaded with a max charge of T7. It is still my favorite powder because it's easier to clean than pyro but not as easy as APP or Pinnacle. But it's stronger than anything else, so trajectory is flatter. Great stuff, but watch for the famous crud ring that forms right where the bullet seats on the first shot. If your ram rod isn't marked, do it! 'Cause the next round might jam at the ring and you'll think it's seated properly when it's not and that could cause the gun to blow when fired!
Old 12-12-2005, 11:44 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: amw_yo

all i have ever used in my rifles was 2f pyrodex, but yesterday i picked up a can of triple seven on clearence at walmart. will there be a dramatic difference in the loads or do these to BP substitutes burn about the same?

thanks,
James
Triple Se7en loose is 15% stronger then Pyrodex RS so there will be a definite difference in the way they shoot. Adjust your load accordingly. Also as grapeshot advised, be careful of the crud ring when loading.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:05 PM
Spike

I don't mean to hyjack the tread but do you see the same "crud ring" with the T7 pellets?

Old 12-12-2005, 01:25 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: kkeiser

I don't mean to hyjack the tread but do you see the same "crud ring" with the T7 pellets?

Sure do depending on the primer you shoot in my experiences.

I did some testing with the Remington Kleenbore 209's adn 777 pellets & loose 2FG & 3FGand they did not have the crud ring buildup. I detail clean in-between each shot.

With the WIN 209 primers (one of my favorites) I would get a crusty formation (crud ring) starting near the breech after each shot that I would subsequently remove by cleaning.

Tahquamenon
Old 12-13-2005, 01:14 PM
Typical Buck

I shoot the Kleenbores and 777 also and, to my knowledge, have not see the infamous crud ring. In fact, I really don't know what it looks like. I have pulled the breech plug 4 times since buying the gun in October and can't find any evidence of it. I swab between shots and clean the gun thoroughly after range sessions or field shots.