Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 hot cold effect on barrel?? >

hot cold effect on barrel??

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

hot cold effect on barrel??

Old 12-03-2005, 03:42 PM

Default hot cold effect on barrel??

how does a hot or cold barrel effect accuracy??can it change POI a great deal? from extreme cold (hunting condtions) to hot faster shots at the range, cause I notice I always am on paper with the first shot, second shot is better then start to open up..
Old 12-03-2005, 04:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: hot cold effect on barrel??

if you let your barrel heat up it can effect accuracy. It has a greater effect I found on light sabot bullets then conicals or heavy sabot bullets. For that reason you need to know where the first shot will go, and then you need to know where the next one will go on a fowled barrel if you had to shoot right away.

At the range, I like to let the rifle sit for a few minutes after I swab and give it a chance to cool down. Especially on hot days... If it is real hot out, I will take as many as three different rifles to the range and change off, giving them all a chance to cool down between shots..
Old 12-04-2005, 11:42 AM

I have noticed that sabot loads are a lot harder to get down the barrel when it's really cold out (like single digits). However, this has not seemed to affect the point of impact anywhere near as much as variables created by powder fouling - at least in my T/C rifles.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have never had this problem with a ML, because I cannot load and fire 15 shots in 3 and 3/4 minutes, as prescribed by the Continental Army's drill regulations! My best speed is about 1 shot every 45 seconds, and since I never have ever fired more than three shots at this pace, my barrel never got too hot.....
Old 12-04-2005, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well with the time it takes to reload and if you are hunting in cold weather I dont think you need to worry about a hot barrel. I dont know what effects a cold barrel can have on loading and shooting.