Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Cold barrel, poor accuracy >

Cold barrel, poor accuracy

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Cold barrel, poor accuracy

Old 11-29-2007, 03:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default Cold barrel, poor accuracy

with my Savage 116 in 7mm-08. Shooting just 50 yards with Rem core lokts 140 grain the first 2 groups is always 3 - 4 inches. After that my groups tighten up to 2 inches roughly at 100yds.

Question is is that normal for most factory ammo or should I try a different type? Please excuse the simplicity of my math but if my rifle is say three inches right at 50 yards is it not 6 inches off at 100yds and 12 inches off at 200? First shot on a cold mornings hunt will of course be through that cold barrel. Still trying to learn some basics so any input you may have is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Scott

Scott
Old 11-29-2007, 04:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Cold barrel, poor accuracy

Scott, Savage rifles are normally very accurate you might want to try some different ammo for factory ammo in my 7mm-08 rifles I use either Hornady Custom 139 gr. sst or Federal 140 gr. Nosler solid base. good luck chad
Old 11-29-2007, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: scott26

with my Savage 116 in 7mm-08. Shooting just 50 yards with Rem core lokts 140 grain the first 2 groups is always 3 - 4 inches. After that my groups tighten up to 2 inches roughly at 100yds.

Question is is that normal for most factory ammo or should I try a different type? Please excuse the simplicity of my math but if my rifle is say three inches right at 50 yards is it not 6 inches off at 100yds and 12 inches off at 200? First shot on a cold mornings hunt will of course be through that cold barrel. Still trying to learn some basics so any input you may have is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Scott
I'd start with different ammo., & see if that does it.

I bought a Savage 11F in 7mm-08 this Summer, & it hasn't shot any better than 3" with any ammo. I've tried so far. This includes Remington 120 grain and 140 grain CoreLokts, Federal 140 grain Accubonds and 140 grain NP's, Winchester 140 grain Powerpoints, and Hornady 139 grain Interlocks.

Most of the groups were actually at 4" to 5". I'd love to be able to blame the shooter, but I would let the barrel cool on that rifle while I shot another, and I'd get thumbnail-sized groups with that one.

I just ordered some Federal 150 grain Speer HotCor's, to see if that shows any improvement. If they don't shoot any better, I'll be sending it back to Massachusetts to see what they can do with it.

Good Luck,

FC
Old 11-29-2007, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Before you go sanding anything, or spending a tank of gas on ammo, try just putting a slight upward pressure on the barrel near the end of the stock. I know that free floating is the norm, and is usually desired. But if this is a hunting rifle and not a bench rest gun you're looking for 3-5 inch groups at the longest range you can keep such a gorup. Sub 1 inch at 100 yards is great but 1.5 " at 100 is pretty good. If your rilfe (and you) can shoot to 300 yards or beyond then your groups wil certainly open some at those longer ranges.
My point being that a small piece of thin credit card or other non porous material causing SLIGHT upward pressure on the barrel can sometimes stop the little difference seen when a barrel changes temps.
If it's a hunting rifle you're probably looking for getting of a couple shots at most at one time in the field anyway. It's a very cheap method to try when you believe your scope, rings, bases, and action screws are not the culprit. Costs next to nothing money wise and takes maybe 15 minutes accomplish and find out.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:38 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: scott26

Scott

Scott
Slight variation on the original question. When a barrel heats up after the first 2-3 shots, the inside diameter is going to change. That has to affect pressure, velocity. Could that be part of the reason zero changes so often.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:04 AM

Is it a brand new gun?

Did you follow any "break-in" proceedures?

I shoot 1 round, clean barrel thouroughly with copper solevt.
Repeat this 3-4 times. The shoot 2-3 rounds and clean. And repeat this a few times.
Reason I'm told, "The machining of the rifleings creates burrs and these burrs need to be taken down by sending a projectile through the barrel." Sounds simple, but may help. I also only shoot premium rounds. My gun really likes the Winchester Supreme AccuBond's.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Are you cleaning the barrel when you are done shooting?

Having a cleaned oiled barrel will almost always throw off your first shot or two...
Old 11-30-2007, 09:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

That group size at 100 yards is acceptable providing your using remington factory ammo.

Try some different ammo Hornady or Federal would come to mind

2 questions: when you shoot do you let the barrel cool and if so for how long? How are you cleaning your barrel and are you leaving oil in the bore prior to shooting ?
Old 11-30-2007, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Briman

Are you cleaning the barrel when you are done shooting?

Having a cleaned oiled barrel will almost always throw off your first shot or two...
Excellent point from both Briman and oldelkhunter . This is another common issue for POI changing ESPECIALLY when the temps are extreme on the low end. I like to clean the barrel at the range when I'm done, then run it clean and dry with patches. Then fire 2 fouling shots and put it away after it cools. The debris in the barrel gives me a more consistent platform for when I come out later.
Shooting from a consistent condition is the key.
If your first shot is ALWAYS out of a cold and 1 or 2 shot barrel that is clean and dry otherwise it gives you a starting point. Let the barrel then cool completely (couple minutes when it's 30 or below!) before trying to get a second shot in .... it's needed to duplicate the conditions of the first shot. That may be WAY easier than trying to do the upward pressure thing.... especially if it works!
Old 12-01-2007, 12:59 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the great replies. 8mm/06- I will try that remedy first as I have never heard of that. Thanks.

Oldelkhunter-- answer to number 1- I am probably not allowing the barrel to cool as needed so I will give that a try more between shots. I live in south florida so it takes a while for the barrel to cool. answer 2--- No I dont live any oil reisdue in the barrel prior to shooting so thats not the culprit.

Reference to temperature change---Even more challenging is that I live in south florida but hunt in the northern states, so I sight in in 80 degree weather at least then shoot in weather often 40 degress or less.

Briman-- I am usually cleaning between range trips so maybe I should try cleaning at the range then firing 1-2 fouling shots after.

Thanks again to all who replied. Any other info would be greatly appreciated as well.

Scott