Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Would you buy a use BP rifle for shooting. >

Would you buy a use BP rifle for shooting.

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Would you buy a use BP rifle for shooting.

Old 12-03-2005, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Would you buy a use BP rifle for shooting.

I would buy an inline used if I were able to remove the bolt and breach plug for a view of the bore.
I'm not sure if I would buy a side lock used or not. Many Gun shops don't have a range nore Have I found one that allows a trial. If I were able to check the bore I might buy a side lock used.
For display Buy what ya think looks good on the wall over the FP.

Al
Old 12-03-2005, 04:44 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Would you buy a use BP rifle for shooting.

If you want to buy a used sidelock (an I have bought many of them) take a bore light with you. A good pawn shop or gun shop will not object to you dropping a bore light down them to check for rust and pitting. If you see a lot of rust and pitting be sure and point that out to the store. It should be a good bargaining point.

Also check the hammer or lock. Look at the nose of the hammer close, especially inside the nose. You will see how well the rifle was maintained here. If the inside of the nipple nose is rusty and pitted it means they do not pay close attention when cleaning. I always take Q-tips, dip them in solvent, and scrub the nose of the sidelock out real good. After they are clean I oil them and around then with a Q-tip saturated in oil.

Also at the shop check the way the hammer cocks. There should be a very definite half cock to it without play, and then a good strong full cock. Cock it and beat on the off side of the lock with the flat of your hand and see if the lock will slip. Give it a sharp rap. I am sure they would frown if you suddenly pull the lock on the rifle. Then holding the hammer back with your thumb, pull the trigger and feel how clean the hammer breaks... if the barrel is clean the and the lock functions, and the trigger breaks clean, normallythat means the rifle was well taken care of.

If the rifle has a set trigger, be sure and check that also. Then check the stock over real close for hair line cracks. Look especially near the back of the tang, and along the bottom of the lock. That is where they seem to crack most of the time. If the stock has no cracks, or large chips, then you need to decide how bad you would like the rifle and how much a new one would cost. Then start bidding or dickering if they will. If not consider spend a few dollars more and get a new one and tell them they can keep the old used one...
Old 12-03-2005, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

If you want to buy a used sidelock (an I have bought many of them) take a bore light with you. A good pawn shop or gun shop will not object to you dropping a bore light down them to check for rust and pitting. If you see a lot of rust and pitting be sure and point that out to the store. It should be a good bargaining point.

Also check the hammer or lock. Look at the nose of the hammer close, especially inside the nose. You will see how well the rifle was maintained here. If the inside of the nipple nose is rusty and pitted it means they do not pay close attention when cleaning. I always take Q-tips, dip them in solvent, and scrub the nose of the sidelock out real good. After they are clean I oil them and around then with a Q-tip saturated in oil.

Also at the shop check the way the hammer cocks. There should be a very definite half cock to it without play, and then a good strong full cock. Cock it and beat on the off side of the lock with the flat of your hand and see if the lock will slip. Give it a sharp rap. I am sure they would frown if you suddenly pull the lock on the rifle. Then holding the hammer back with your thumb, pull the trigger and feel how clean the hammer breaks... if the barrel is clean the and the lock functions, and the trigger breaks clean, normallythat means the rifle was well taken care of.

If the rifle has a set trigger, be sure and check that also. Then check the stock over real close for hair line cracks. Look especially near the back of the tang, and along the bottom of the lock. That is where they seem to crack most of the time. If the stock has no cracks, or large chips, then you need to decide how bad you would like the rifle and how much a new one would cost. Then start bidding or dickering if they will. If not consider spend a few dollars more and get a new one and tell them they can keep the old used one...

Well Said!
Old 12-03-2005, 06:27 PM
Dominant Buck

If all you want is a sidelock for display, then get a Hawkins with lots of brass, or some old military musket. Also many of the Kentucky style rifle make a good display. I'd personally rather shoot them thendisplay them.. the old Military musketsare longer and tend to stand out well on the wall. Hawkins are nice looking rifles, but there are many different makes of "Hawkins."
Old 12-04-2005, 12:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: alleyyooper

I would buy an inline used if I were able to remove the bolt and breach plug for a view of the bore.
I'm not sure if I would buy a side lock used or not. Many Gun shops don't have a range nore Have I found one that allows a trial. If I were able to check the bore I might buy a side lock used.
For display Buy what ya think looks good on the wall over the FP.

Al
IF the bore of the sidelock is .50 or larger, take an empty .45 ACP case and polish up the head with a rouge cloth so it shines like a mirror. Drop it down the bore with the shiny face toward you and let it sliude down to the breechplug. Now shinea flashight down the bore. It will give you plenty of light for inspecting the bore!! For a .45, use a .38 Special case. For smaller bores, use a .32 or .25 ACP case.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

alleyyooper

I have and I will, I have gotten great guns and i have also been unfortunate - those that I have been unforunate with I paid a price that if I got burned it really did not hurt as much.

You really can get some good deals on used guns... Cayugad gave you the information you need to choose a good one

Good Luck...

Old 12-04-2005, 12:34 PM

In addition to the great advice you got already, the best way to inspect the bore of a sidelock is with a Hawkeye bore scope. Most gunsmiths and many of the larger gunshops carry these. It's kind of like the scope your proctologist uses for a major checkup -and is the last word in bore inspection.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

i bought my tc 50cal hawken flinter used.....saved about half what they go new......checked it out good.....no rust...not even a dinged stock....rather low serial number too i think..bought it......went to shoot it...figured they were inaccurate from what ive heard from wanna be flintlockers....and man did them roundballs punch holes.....and mannnnn do they STILL punch holes.....one day im going to really goto a range with a bench and shoot groups......just gota check them out like any other used gun.........i shine a light in my touchhole when cleaning...lights up the bore nicely if you get it right......
Old 12-04-2005, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

So there you have it the words of experince on how to buy a fine rifle on a buget.
I am sure many at my two local shops are there because of the use of pellets/sticks rather than loose propelant.
Some rifles just won't group with a set 100/130 load. My TC plains shines with 86 grains of clear shot, mmp sabot and nosler 240 45 cal bullet. Any more or less and it is all over the map but most times off the map [].

Al