Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

help with groups

Old 11-30-2005, 07:14 PM

Default help with groups

ok I changed my scope and now atleast I am hitting the pie plate (80yards) the only good group I got using 250 sst and 100 grain pyro or trip 7 (pellets) was when I didnt swap with a fairly dirty barrel made it very hard to load but my three shot group was 1.5 inches, all others until then where not groups at all over mind you there were hitting the 6-7inch target at 80yards nothing I could work with to zero my scope till the last three shot group, my question is should I try a few differnt bullets with thicker tighter fitting sabots seems my gun likes the tighter fit, aswell as get some thicker ones for the sst's... next question whitch sabots should I get that are slightly thicker than the ones that come with the sst's and whitch current pre assembled bullets already come with them cause I am running short on time..
Old 11-30-2005, 07:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: help with groups

Whether you will find the same thing true, I bought some Hornady SST's that came with a sabot and I broke a short starter trying to load them they were so tight. After that I changed sabots to a T/C Mag Express and they not only loaded much easier but the accuracy was excellent. So I am guessing who ever made the sabot on the Hornady SST made a much thicker sabot that might work for you.

When I want to shoot the SST's I now buy the Thompson Center Shockwaves.. their sabot and bullet combination works perfect for me...

You could call MMP and ask them about sabot thickness. I've personally never measured them.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:40 PM
Fork Horn

y not5,
My 2 cents worth:
There are a lot of peoplethat have had real good luck shooting the SST's and Shockwaves, but I'm not one of them. I can get nice 3 shot groups using this bullet, but I always get a fliershooting a5 shot group with them.
In my opinion the Barnes bullets are best bullet out there for accuracy and terminal performance. I get my best consistant groups shooting the Barnes bullets inmy .50cal rifles with 1-28" twist barrels. In .50cal I recommend the 285gr. Spit Fire and the 300gr. MZ Expander.
You don't have to shoot these all the time to enjoy your muzzleloader, but to me when it's hammer time on the buck of a life time, I want the very best.

Old 11-30-2005, 07:58 PM
Fork Horn

I should have mentioned for my tightest groups I use a damp spit patch between each shot, followed by a dry patch and thenI use a T/C natural lube 1000 pre-lubed patch afterwards. I use the same pre-lubed patch in a 5 shot group, moving the pre-lubed patch around to a different spot each time I use it.
This makes loading the Barnes bullets much easier and my groups always shrink when I use this method.
I'm in a constant state of trying different bullet and powderload combinations and loading procedures to see what consistantly works best and this procedure is what works best for me time after time.
Istill in the learning stages when it comes to shooting the SST's, but I'm going to keep trying. I think they are a very well designed bullet
Good luck and keep us posted on your results.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:09 PM

well it seems I cant get groups with the sst's unless my barrel is dirty making them tighter to load, they shoot better when they are tighter? I dont know why, but unless its a dirty barrel they wont group if its clean they will be in 6-7inch targter but all over, I am gonna try some differnt bullets just wierd that the other two sidekicks I baught like them but they are the blued versions, and mine is stainless..on a side note I shot the TC cheap shots with similar results I am gonna try a 300 grain bullet maybe help????
Old 11-30-2005, 08:43 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: y_not5

well it seems I cant get groups with the sst's unless my barrel is dirty making them tighter to load, they shoot better when they are tighter? I dont know why, but unless its a dirty barrel they wont group if its clean they will be in 6-7inch targter but all over, I am gonna try some differnt bullets just wierd that the other two sidekicks I baught like them but they are the blued versions, and mine is stainless..on a side note I shot the TC cheap shots with similar results I am gonna try a 300 grain bullet maybe help????
Something you might want to try and I do not advocate this too often.. next time you get to the range, load it and then run a bore butter patch down the barrel to the projectile. This might act as a fowled barrel and then see how it shoots that way. Like I said, I do not advocate the use of bore butter and sabots, but this might work. If not, your no further off.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am fairly new at this but have settled on a 295 grain PowerBelt
aero tip with 90 grains of American Pioneer powder and my groups have
beenreally impressive and reached that with cayugads help!

Old 11-30-2005, 09:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

y_not5

Help me out a bit, I am not really all that familiar with the sidekick... When you load the SST in a clean barrel how much force is required to push the bullet and sabot down the barrel?

Since you a loading Hornady SST's you are probably being supplied sabots from MMP, usually these will be the HPH-12 variety and they are normally the thickest. I am assuming you are shooting a 45 cal 250 grain SST with a black sabot? Turn the sabot over and look at the cup - it should have 2 small ledges (steps) inside the cup and a number stamped in the bottom.

One other thing you might need to do is experiment a little with the powder charge... It would be my suggestion to start --- never mind you are using pellets -not may options there.

Back to the original thought loading it all into a clean barrel, how difficult to get the SST down - do you have to use a short starter or can you just push the bullet and sabot down with your thumb or the ram rod?

One last thought - not all guns shoot all bullets well - but again I do not know enough about the sidekick..

Your trip is getting here awful fast and I am worried about your confidence in the gun you are shooting...

Old 11-30-2005, 11:20 PM

in a clean barrel I can just use the ram rod to get it down dont need a short starter, once dirty I need a short starter once down the barrel they go down pretty easy dont need to really lean on the rod, dont go down real hard but not super easy either, now would I be smart to try a heavier bullet will that help, like I said at 80 yards I am hitting a 6-7inch plate with every shot shot not grouping them like I would like, until I tried shooting with a dirty barrel whitch made those ssts go very hard to get started but I was getting great groups 3 shots less than 1.5inches apart, as far as my hunt I have a spot were I bow hunted there that is overlooking a small field maybe 120 yards by 70 yards when I setup in the middle I wont ave shot past 70 yards whitch is were I plan on hunting if I dont get my groups tighter, I just dont get I mean both trip 7 and pyrodex arent producing for me in my gun and the other 2 are getting great groups I am starting to question my luck I should have just got the wood blued combo....I have been shooting everyday and plan to again tommorow but I am gonna try some 300 grain bullets...
Old 12-01-2005, 04:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can you get ahold of some PRBullet Ult1 400 grain conicals? You'll need to put some lube on them. Bore Butter should work fine for the lube. My Huntsman shoots those very well on top of 75 grains by volume of FFg T7. Don't know about your trip, but that load is easily good to 125 yards.

Quick Reply: help with groups

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.