Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 swabing between shots? >

swabing between shots?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

swabing between shots?

Old 12-02-2005, 05:07 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: swabing between shots?

After reading all these messages on this subject I went out to work up a load and found that at first I was having trouble shooting good groups only swabing every 2-3 shots. Accuracy greatly improved when I started spit patching with 2 patches after every shot. While this might not me pratical in hunting conditions its going to be the way I shoot on the range and when I can while hunting.

T/C Encore Whitetail extreme 209X50 tri-color Laminate
245 grain Barnes Spitfire
100gr. T7 pellets.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think you could shoot 5 then swab. Thats what I am going to try with my traditional using pyrodex.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:57 AM

When you are running a patch through an inline, do you remove the breach plug and run it the entire distance or just from the muzzle? Also, when running a patch, are you running one of those 1 inch by 1 inch thin pieces of cloth? It doesn't seem like that would do much. I have been running a 410 guage swab through mine.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is a thread I started a while back on the same topic. http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1306523&mpage=1
Old 12-06-2005, 07:21 AM

i use APP and i still run a dry patch thru the barrel between shots.
if anything just to give me some piece of mind before i shoot again.

hookset
Old 12-06-2005, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: stinkbelly

When you are running a patch through an inline, do you remove the breach plug and run it the entire distance or just from the muzzle? Also, when running a patch, are you running one of those 1 inch by 1 inch thin pieces of cloth? It doesn't seem like that would do much. I have been running a 410 guage swab through mine.
I only swab from the muzzle when at the range or hunting! I neverremove breech plugs until when done for the day, and am cleaning a fired rifle. (Many of my rifles have non-removeable breechplugs anyway!)

When swabbing from the muzzle, always use a muzzle protector to keep the rod from wearing onthe lands at the muzzle.

I use 2.5"X2.5" GI cleaning patches. These do a great job. I am not aware of any commercial patches that are as good as the GI kind!
Old 12-07-2005, 09:11 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

When swabbing from the muzzle, always use a muzzle protector to keep the rod from wearing onthe lands at the muzzle.
I also always use a bore guide/protector to center the ramod when loading to include short starting and also for cleaning. Have used a bore guide since the beginning as my grandfather used to machine them from brass stock himself. I have several for a wide range of calibers and rod diameters.

Like:
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/categories/tableList.aspx?catID=6&subID=49&styleID=15 9

Tahquamenon