Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Black Powder

Old 11-16-2005, 07:27 PM

Default Black Powder

With all the conversation on powders does anyone really use Goex BLACk POWDER ? Have not heard a lot of people using it anymore. Is it cause of being hard to get or just in the cleanup. The reason I ask is because a friend of mine just gave me 25 Lbs of it. Says he does not reload shotgun anymore. Also 5 lbs of triple seven. All lose. Asked me to please take it from him as he has to keep it at a club he belongs to cause of his wife? Will pick it up tomorrow.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:47 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Black Powder

I shoot Goex Black Powder 99% of the time. If he has 25 pounds of Black Powder you will be shooting a long time. Your friend must have done a lot of old time black powder shotgun shooting to need that much powder on hand.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:52 PM

What he did was to buy a little in bulk for some of his club members only to have them not pay, so to speak. Offered to pay for it and he says NO. Who am I to argue. I will just do up a bunch of jerky and beef sticks for him for quite a while. He's like that.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:55 PM

Cayugad.. ---Forgot to ask you. Being you have so many BP toys, which do you use the Black powder in and any problems or tricks to speak of?
Eddy
Old 11-16-2005, 08:31 PM
Dominant Buck

I shoot black powder in all of my rifles including my inline rifles. I think you get the best accuracy and consistent shot to shot accuracy with black powder. Sometimes you have to load a little more to make up for the power difference.

With black powder you have to swab the barrel more often when shooting sabots, but it will surprise you how easy a second even a third shot is possible without swabbing.

Good luck with the Goex. It really is a good shooting powder. Very consistant and ignites real easy.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot Goex also. My main problem is that the nearest place to buy the stuff is about 375 miles away, and I rarely have enough money to buy more than a pound or two when I do go over there for Dr's appointments. I only have one BP rifle though, so its not too bad. Besides that, I shoot Pyrodex RS, which will print almost the exact same as with Goex, so I don't worry too much. I used the RS this year for my elk hunt mainly for the reason of exactly how much powder I had (approx 1/4 pound of Goex), and how many times I may have to shoot and clean the barrel during the week long hunt. It is just more practical logistically for me, so I may just stick with Pyrodex exclusively and not worry about it.

P.S. One thing is for sure - there is nothing like the smell of fresh Goex smoke... hehehehehehehe