Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Harvester Sabots?? >

Harvester Sabots??

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Harvester Sabots??

Old 11-13-2005, 10:14 AM
Fork Horn

Default Harvester Sabots??

I am seriously thinking of ordering sabots but don't know my bullet diameter. I'm shooting .50 Knight 240gr JHP's. The choices I have at Cabela's are: .430 .452 .475 Can anyone help me out with this? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:22 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Harvester Sabots??

Usually on the box they come in, it will tell you the diameter. If you no longer have the box, take an old sabot that you are sure of the size. Green sabots are .429-.430 black sabots are .451-.452 and the orange are .457-.458. Take the bullet in question and fit them into some of the old sabots. They should fit firm. Also if you put too smalla projectile like a .430in a larger sabot like a .452, it will really slide/fit realeasy down the barrel.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

You need the green .430s for 50-cal rifles
Old 11-13-2005, 11:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

powderburns

Without knowing the manufacturers name I am just guessing... You indicate that you are shooting 240 grain bullets. I read your message to say that you are shooting a Knight 50 cal ML. Now I can not tell if you are indicating a Knight 240 grain bullet or a 240 grain bullet by another manufacture. If it were a 240 grain Hornady XTP or a TC Mag 240 grain, my assumption is that it would be a .429/.430 cal - so you need a sabot for a 50 cal gun to hold a .44 caliber bullet.

Give a little more information and there will be all kinds of people on here helping you.

Old 11-13-2005, 03:21 PM

powderburns - I am shooting Hornady .45 caliber 240 GR. XTP MAG's in my Traditions LT Pursuit .50 caliber. The bullets came with black sabots. Picked them up at SIR in Winnipeg. Accuracy is good but they are very hard loading. At cayugad's suggestion, I looked at MMP's website. They offer a slightly smaller (.002) black sabot that may solve my loading problems. I plan to order some and try them. Perhaps you may wish to look at their site also.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

I should have worded it a little differently.I am shooting a Knight .50 cal, with Knight 240gr JHP's. The sabots are green. I am finding these are really tight fitting, actually hard to push down the bore. Someone, somewhere recommended switching to harvester sabots to someone else having the same problem. My rifle has been like this since new. About 7-8 years now. I have good accuracy using these bullets + would rather not switch bullets.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

powderburns

There is a chance that Harvester sabots might make it easier to slide the sabot/bullet combination down the barrel. You won't know until you get some and try it. Harvester is recognized by most as the thinnest sabot.

http://www.claybusterwads.com/harvester.html

Harvester has a regular 50/44 sabot and they are now producing a 50/44 "crush rib" which is suppose to be even easier to get down tight barrels. I have not tried these yet so I can not confirm their advertisement. I do have some 50/45 sabots sitting on the table in the back that I am going to try as soon as I can.

Good luck
Old 11-14-2005, 02:16 AM

I have some harvesters in light blue and they are for .475 bullets. The black should be for .452. I spoke to someone at the company that makes harvester sabots and supposedly MMP and themselves are the only makers and suppliers of sabots to all the major bullet companies. I've seen the bottoms of the sabots of several brands and most of them are somewhat different. I guess companies have them made to their specifications. I have even heard that the barrel diameters vary from each maker so some sabots may work better than others. You may want to try MMp sabots and the Harvester to see what shoots best. Call Knight and see who supplies their sabots if they will give you such classified information. LOL!!!!
Old 11-14-2005, 11:55 AM

I tried the 50/.430 Harvester Crush Rib sabots last month, and got some pretty serious sabot melt down with 130 grains of Pyrodex pellets. This was in a gun with a really smooth barrel. They do load easier, though - and might be fine for 100 grain charges. Haven't tried the 50/.452 yet.