Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Loading question

Old 11-02-2005, 11:30 AM

Default Loading question

I'm new to muzzle loading but am enjoying shooting my Encore. Just wondering how much pressure should be used when loading a powerbelt on top of two Triple 7 pellets. Will too much or inconsistent pressure damage the pellets and cause accuracy problems?Would appreciate any suggestions or comments on correct loading procedure.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:02 PM

Default RE: Loading question

I tried the 777 pellets once, and found them to be prone to crumbling under a fair amount of seating pressure. The Pyrodex pellets seem to be tougher in terms of remaining a pellet. In the Triple 7 powder, I would stick with the loose stuff- FWIW. Good luck. Roskoe.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:45 PM

The rule of thumb is that once you find a load you want to stick with mark your ramrod. Do this only after you have thouroughly cleaned your gun. Put the two pellets in and then load the bullet. It should easily slide down the freshly cleaned barrel. Be careful not to push down hard; the clean barrel should allow the bullet to come into contact with the charge with minimal pressure.
Once it is seated mark the ramrod with your knife, or other instrumentfor future reference.This way you know exactly where the ramrod should stop to allow for proper seating.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:48 PM
Fork Horn

I mark my ramrod and then when it gets to the mark then pull ramrod up and let it bonce. If it bounces then the bullet is against the powder.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:17 PM
Dominant Buck

I hate to mistreat my ramrod, I just wrap a small piece of masking tape level to the muzzle around the rod. You can write on the tape if you need to. Also if you want, you can simply remove the tape as I do, at the end of the shooting session.

Just push the projectile down onto the powder charge with as straight and even a pressure as you can muster. You will feel it stop there. Give it a little more pressure if you like, but make sure to mark the witness mark on the rod and then load to that same spot for the following shots..