Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Wet powder, no buck!! >

Wet powder, no buck!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Wet powder, no buck!!

Old 11-04-2005, 08:52 AM

Default RE: Wet powder, no buck!!

I had something similar happen on a bear hunt. I have a cow elk muzzleloader hunt coming up soon during the "wet" season, and I picked up a kit at the sporting good store. It has the finger cots to put over the muzzle and a plastic ring that holds and seals a cap to the nipple. My hunting buddy recommended to fire at least two caps before you load to burn off any moisture/oil in the barrel, load, then pull the nipple and add a wee bit of powder there. This is for traditional open breach caplock rifles, not sure if you can do it on an inline.
Old 11-06-2005, 12:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Wet powder, no buck!!

ORIGINAL: bigboar23

Ever put the sights right behind the shoulder and hear the cap go off and watch the deers body flinch.........mind you he flinched because of the sound of the cap, not the round hitting him. I was in the rain all day and that's what happened when I pulled the trigger on this Big Buck I'd been watching for about 6 months. He was 8 yds broadside!Probably the closest he'll ever come!!!
Nope!! This has never happened to me. I put plastic wrap around the muzzle and over the lock area when hunting in the rain, and carry the rifle muzzle-down with the lock area under my left armpit.

Ionce hunted for a week in the rain in the Adirondacks carrying a caplock rifle so protectred, loaded all week, and on the last day, I unwrapped the lock, cocked it, and shot at a target 75 yards away. Dead on the correct spot, 2" high.... This with Clean Shot (same as APP) for the propellant..... Left the gun in a truck every night after removing the cap. Replaced the cap and re-wrapped the lock section every AM, under a tree where there was protection from the rain while recapping.

Inlines should be a lot easier to waterproof than a sidelock!