Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Wet powder, no buck!! >

Wet powder, no buck!!

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Wet powder, no buck!!

Old 11-01-2005, 08:26 PM

Default Wet powder, no buck!!

Ever put the sights right behind the shoulder and hear the cap go off and watch the deers body flinch.........mind you he flinched because of the sound of the cap, not the round hitting him. I was in the rain all day and that's what happened when I pulled the trigger on this Big Buck I'd been watching for about 6 months. He was 8 yds broadside!Probably the closest he'll ever come!!!
Old 11-01-2005, 08:49 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Wet powder, no buck!!

Big Boar.. that is a terrible sound and feeling. I do not remember the kind of rifle you were shooting. Perhaps you could tell us about your rifle, powder, and how you water resistant/proofed the rifle for your wet hunting conditions...

Not only would it be interesting but other might learn from your misfortune. Especially if this was one of the new powders on the market, or perhaps you were hunting with it for the third or fourth day in a row. Then your storage might be an issue.

Again, perhaps you will get another chance.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:22 PM

I am using a Traditions Inline, with American Pioneer Powder Sticks, and PowerBelt Bullets.It uses a 209 primer. Do you have any tips for water proofing a muzzleloader. I'm down here in Florida, so I hunt in wet conditions a lot of the time. I guess under these conditions it would be wise to fire it off everytime you hunt with it as well.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

That sucks, hopefully you'll get a second chance. Do you cover the Muzzle end of the Barrel? If not, do!! I use electrical tape but you can use finger cots, condomn, plastic wrap...anything that keeps the moisture from entering this way. Just make sure it is on the outside of the barrel no the inside and you'll be good. If you have an open breech you can drape a wool sock lined with a plastic bag over the action to help waterproof this end of things. Then when the time comes remove the sock and take aim.

Yes when it is wet you should dump the charge, clean, re-oil, swab the excess oil out of the bore and re-charge with fresh/dry powder.

The other option is hunt in a shelter blind...LOL!

Good luck to you.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:07 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: bigboar23

I am using a Traditions Inline, with American Pioneer Powder Sticks, and PowerBelt Bullets.It uses a 209 primer. Do you have any tips for water proofing a muzzleloader. I'm down here in Florida, so I hunt in wet conditions a lot of the time. I guess under these conditions it would be wise to fire it off everytime you hunt with it as well.
A finger cot over the muzzle would be a good idea without a doubt. Also you picked a powder that from reading lots of posts about it, is very sensative to moisture.

If I were hunting in your conditions I would try a different power. Even as already said, dumping the load at the end of the day and loading with fresh powder in the morning would be a good idea. I just wonder if the American Pioneer Powder sticks are not drawing moisture all day as you hunt and then refusing to fire. I would be more inclined with the different powder.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:19 AM

Thanks for all the info. I was using Pyrodex pellets, but they were beyond DIRTY! So I switched to the American Pioneer sticks because they say they are the cleanest, but I didn't know about their moisture properties. Do you have any suggestions. I would like to stick to the pellet style, but if I need to go to loose powder, I will.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:13 AM
Dominant Buck

The way I look at all of this confusion of which powder is cleaner and which is dirty... If a powder shoots a great group, I could care lesshow dirty it is. As long as it does not make the rifle impossible to fire after one, even two rounds... as some have experienced with hard crud rings and Triple Se7en powder. If a rifle takes me a little longer to clean, then it takes me a little longer to clean. 99% of the time I shoot loose Goex. If you want to talk about dirty powder, we can have a good chat. But Goex is a great powder and very consistant shot to shot. Also price wise it is the best deal out there for someone like me that shoots almost every day of the week.

I really don't have the answer to which powder would be best for you because I do not experience the same hunting situations as you do. I have visited the south and actually I commend you for living in that heat and humidity. Up here in Wisconsin we call that a Sauna. My little sister lived in Georgia near the coast. I visited her and about died from the heat and humidity, while they joked about it and went on their merry way.

All powders are subject to problems with moisture. All I can suggest is change the powder every day. In fact at the end of the day when I hunt, for that reason alone, I shoot the rifle off. This gives me the best indication of how the powder behaved during the day and how good my waterproofing skills were. I dropped/slipped and dunked a traditional rifle under the water one hunting season and it still fired. Start every day on a clean dry rifle. Waterproof the rifle as best as possible, and hope that the same thing does not happen to you again.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you did not like Pyrodex then I would try some 777 pellets. They are cleaner, less smoke and no sulphur smell. If you experience the dreaded crud ring then your only alternative is go back to the Pyrodex in pelletized. If you want to shoot loose you can look at Mag 3, a clean/ more potent sub with no crud ring...so an alternative if you will to 777.

As stated all powder is suspect to drawing moisture, so make sure you take ever precaution to weatherproofing your ML first and foremost. Cover the barrel, keep it clean & dry and possibly cover the breech or nipple area in rain in some manner.

I have absolutely no experience with Pionner Powder so I can not compare it to others I have used. My experience with pellets isonly with Pyrodex and 777,at that it is very limited, as I prefer the benefits of shooting loose.

Good Luck
Old 11-02-2005, 11:04 AM
bigcountry

Oh yea, I have heard it once, actually twice. Top reason I bet alot of guys go out and buy a inline/209 setup. It was for me.

Old 11-03-2005, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigboar23

He was 8 yds broadside!Probably the closest he'll ever come!!!
Hate to say it but probably the closest YOU'LL ever come!

Sorry, JK, I haven't had that happen due to my shooting an inline, but I've had just about everything in Murphy'sbook thrown at me.

Quick Reply: Wet powder, no buck!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.